Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your best advice for a new Quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-best-advice-new-quilter-t62835.html)

Andii 09-03-2010 02:38 PM

I'm fairly new to quilting-haven't completed a quilt yet-and I have learned so much...the first thing that comes to mind is always pre-wash your fabric. I know there are different views on this but I have been handwashing fabric before use and I cannot believe all of the die that comes out! I thought reds were the worst but I am finding blues and greens keep bleeding.

Don't be afraid of the fabric. When I first started I didn't want to cut into new fabric and ruin it but the more I work with it the easier it becomes.

Although I'm listing it last it really is the most important thing to measure and cut accurately.

Good luck and enjoy it. :thumbup:

Tally Kathy 09-03-2010 05:02 PM

Take a class that interests you at your nearest LQS or sewing center. Find a quilter to talk to. Get on this quilting forum! Start with a smaller project and work your way up to bigger ones.

bjnicholson 09-03-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
There are levels of "beginner" -

If someone has never been exposed to textiles or sewing in any form, basic "vocabulary" would be helpful -

Names of different types of fabrics, weaves, knits, different types of pins, needles, what are selvages and grain lines, what are seam allowances, the difference between pressing and ironing, etc.

Yes, and don't forget "quiltspeak"! HST, BOW, BOM, STD, WOF, yadda, yadda, yadda... :hunf:

Aussie Quilter 09-04-2010 01:09 AM

There are NO quilt police. If you are happy with it, then that is all that matters.

leatheflea 09-04-2010 02:36 AM

Never take a credit card with you when fabric shopping!

JETTA 09-04-2010 02:55 AM

Having fun with your own progress,practice.Perhaps watching UTube under Quilting Videos teaches you.
jetta

Edie 09-04-2010 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Take your time. Measure twice or three times, cut once. Press, not iron your fabric. Make friends with your seam ripper. Ask questions, be excited about what you are working on and most of all....HAVE FUN!

My seam ripper is Roger the Ripper and we are having a mad passionate affair! I am sure it is a permanent thing! One thing about Roger the Ripper is that I can take him anywhere! I took him on an airplane trip once (since 9-11) and used him as a scissors. Hey, it works!!!!! Can't hurt anyone with a seam ripper!!!!! I am known as the only person in the world with a Fons and Porter ergonomically designed DULL seam ripper. Need I say more? Keep a record of everything that you make, a notebook, a "nothing" book, a photo album, anything that someday someone will look back and remember. Also, I make a book with each quilt that I give away. It has recipes, stories, jokes, sayings and adages, just a sort of fun remembrance to the person you gave the quilt to what was going on when the quilt was being made. Also, and most important, it give the quilt provenance - dates, people, locales, etc. And enjoy, have fun, make everything you do a pleasure, because it is. Edie

Darlene 09-04-2010 03:19 AM

Start with something small. Like a potholder or table runner.

Fabaddict 09-04-2010 03:56 AM

Enjoy what you are doing and all of the above

quilt3311 09-04-2010 04:20 AM

Read all you can and go to places where quilts are shown and examine them carefully. If possible find a group you can join. Quilters are sharing people. At least I find them to be that. Read books (library's usually carry a selection of quilt books-or inter-library loan, can get almost any quilt book you want to see.
Then practice, start out with some fairly easy blocks and work your way up. Take classes if there are some in your area. Or purchase some of the video tapes that are out there now. Then be kind to yourself. Don't expect perfection in the first quilt you make, goodness I've quilted for over 40 years and still mess up. Make a wrong cut, or sew a seam that isn't accurate.
Get the best machine you can afford and keep it oiled and cleaned. Then just enjoy the process.