Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's Your Favorite Quilting Book? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-favorite-quilting-book-t187437.html)

maryb119 04-28-2012 10:12 AM

I have 2 favorites, The Big Book of Scraps quilts and Creative Scraps, Quilting with Bits and Pieces. I enjoy looking through them and making quilts from them.

kapatt 04-28-2012 10:12 AM

I found that having too many quilting books ended up being more of burden than an enjoyment so for the last few years I've been very careful with my selection of books. I have favorite quilting authors that I have found to be very good.

Harriet Hargrave (Quilter's Academy Vol. 1, 2, 3...4 comes out in June)
Cathy Wierzbicki
Eleanor Burns
Lynette Jensen (Thimbleberries)

I love the book " The Border Workbook" for ideas on different pieced borders.
I recently bought the book "501 Quilting Motifs" to get ideas on quilting.

I mainly use my books to get ideas for my quilts and ideas about what colors I want to use. Then I go to eq and either draw out my ideas or see if the block is in the block library.

Sandra in Minnesota 04-28-2012 10:34 AM

I think my first quilt book was by Eleanor Burns, and really caught onto the log cabin quilting. That is my favorite design along with the D9P. Eleanor shows step by step which was what I needed as a new quilter and sewer.

Quiltngolfer 04-28-2012 10:42 AM

My favorite book would be Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott. I love to make quilts with jelly rolls. They go together so quickly and you have much less cutting to do. They have two or three other books now that use precut fabric.

susie-susie-susie 04-28-2012 01:35 PM

I have too many favorites and can't name just one--but--Eleanor Burns is at the top of my list. She makes everything so simple.
Sue

Rose L 04-28-2012 04:18 PM

I don't have a favorite book but I do have a favorite author...Lynette Jensen of Thimbleberries. I love her books and her fabarics. They all just feel like home to me.

Sweeterthanwine 04-28-2012 06:56 PM

When I first started quilting, a friend recommended Fons and Porters quilting book which I still have and refer to very often. I bought a Learn to Quilt book by Leisure Books and still use it once in a while to. I need a refresher every now and then.

DogHouseMom 04-28-2012 07:35 PM

"Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins - check out the accompanying video as well.

I have very few "pattern" books, most of my books are about techniques - and Sally's books are at the TOP of my list. The above book I call my "primer" as it taught me SO much about what I was doing wrong :)

Sewflower 04-29-2012 06:47 AM

I do have some of these books. Just ordered Sally Collins, 50 PP Stars, Fons and Porter, and looking at Burns' books. Keep suggestions coming adding some to my wish lists. Thank you.

Jackie Spencer 04-29-2012 07:52 AM

If I could have only one, It would most deffinetly be Judy Hopkins...501 Rotary- Cut Quilt Blocks. Not only are there 501 patterns but each pattern has cutting directions for 6 different sizes of the block. Every block is pictured in color in the front of the book. There is also a section telling you how to use the blocks and a section giving tips on how to make them. A page for calculating yardage is also given.