Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When machine quilting, what size stitch should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-machine-quilting-what-size-stitch-should-i-use-t64459.html)

gls234 09-13-2010 04:16 AM

I too use 3.0. I find that length keeps the fabric from puckering. I also use the walking foot.

gls234 09-13-2010 04:18 AM

I too use 3.0. I find that length keeps the fabric from puckering. I also use the walking foot.

ckcowl 09-13-2010 04:26 AM

as with most things 'quilty' it really is a personal choice on the look you want. some people like itty-bitty stitches and quilt with something like 20 stitches to the inch, some think 12 stitches is great and then there are those who like the 'big-stitch' look and quilt at about 4-5 stitches to the inch. make yourself a little 'stitch-sampler' make a 12" block, sandwich it and stitch a line down it at the different settings, marking at the beginning of each line the setting #'s so then you have a reference and you can look at it, decide you want (this -stitch for this project) and you can set your machine consistantly for the look you like best.

sjhughson 09-13-2010 05:00 AM

Yup! 3.0

Lori S 09-13-2010 05:02 AM

Depends on the fabric and batting , for the most part 2.5 or 3.0.

grammyp 09-13-2010 05:02 AM

I use 2 or 2.5, don't know why. I just started there and liked the way it looked, so that is what I use.

Shelbie 09-13-2010 05:29 AM

I like the look of larger stitches, so I always use 4.5 or even 5. I find that this stitch is small enough to hold all layers securely and if you have to rip, it is not impossible to remove. I also find that the Janome walking foot tends to automatically use smaller stitches over thicker areas. Perhaps if I had the thread regulator option, this wouldn't be an issue. Experiment and see what works for you. No one is coming to measure your stitches and complain!

Deb watkins 09-13-2010 05:39 AM

3.0 with the walking foot!

May in Jersey 09-13-2010 05:47 AM

When stitching in the ditch I use a larger stitch size, usually 3.5 or 4. First I make a little sample quilt with some scraps, about 4" x 12", to check out stitch size and also thread color before I begin quilting. I find that the larger stitch doesn't pucker the fabric.

I leave thread tails where I begin stitching and where I end stitching. I later go back and bring front threads to the back, tie the front and back threads together and bury them in the quilt sandwhich. This is a pain in the butt but I do it because I tried beginning and ending with 0 stitch length but it doesn't always look as nice as I would like it to.

My Pfaff has a built in walking foot so that helps a lot.
May in Jersey

wolfkitty 09-13-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
as with most things 'quilty' it really is a personal choice on the look you want. some people like itty-bitty stitches and quilt with something like 20 stitches to the inch, some think 12 stitches is great and then there are those who like the 'big-stitch' look and quilt at about 4-5 stitches to the inch. make yourself a little 'stitch-sampler' make a 12" block, sandwich it and stitch a line down it at the different settings, marking at the beginning of each line the setting #'s so then you have a reference and you can look at it, decide you want (this -stitch for this project) and you can set your machine consistently for the look you like best.

While I agree that 3.0 sounds about right, I like the idea of the stitch sampler to get an idea of what the different lengths look like, in case there comes a time to try something different. Thank you all for your very helpful advice!