Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When machine quilting, what size stitch should I use?

I recently machine quilted for the first time in a long time, and I have forgotten (or maybe never knew) what size stitch to use. After starting with 2.5, I went to 3.5, but now I am thinking I should have used even a larger stitch.

So I am asking for the next time that I machine quilt. I can't seem to find this detail anywhere, so I figured I would just "ask the experts."

Thanks!!

Excellent question. I would like to know, too. I have a baby quilt coming up and this information would be helpful. Thanks for asking.

Are you talking about Free Motion?

I use a walking foot and sew straight sticth at 2.5 and it does great!
    But this isn't free motion!!

Blog Entries
    I set my machine to 2.0 that way the ends of the stitching doesn't come undone. I know some sew with a 3.0, but this is my preference. :D:D:D

I don't know either. I think I use 3 on my one and only that wasn't FMQ, but don't know if that was right .

No, I don't mean free motion. I haven't tried that yet. I was trying for stitch in the ditch and then I was also going diagonally from one corner of the block to the other.

My sister has a long arm quilting machine...I can't recall what kind...and I have used that....with her guidance for my last four quilts. I have only machine quilted a baby quilt before, and sort of went by memory. When I looked at the stitches on the quilts I quilted at my sister's, it looked like a stitch much larger than 3.5.

Now I am wondering if I used too large a stitch when I switched to 3.5? I made that quilt for a charity auction and have already given it away. I can't even go look at it to compare to my other quilts!! I hate to think that the first quilt I made to give away may be inferior. :(

Any more experts who can add to my knowledge??

I'm not an expert and don't do much SID, on the crib quilt I just did for new Great Granddaughter, I used a 2.0 stitch length, I like a small stitch and sew with a smaller stitch than most. When I use to sew clothes I started out using a small stitch, didn't want to mend clothes if the seams came out.

Banned
    I use about a 3 because I believe you need to lengthen the stitch a bit from the setting for two pieces of fabric to accommodate the batting.

Power Poster
    I read somewhere to have the stitch where you are comfortable with, just incase you have to take out the stitches.

Blog Entries
    i use a 3.0 when stitching in the ditch,or doing a cross hatch on a quilt.

with my machine, i find if i go any smaller..i get puckers, even using a walking foot. course, it could be the foot tension.

I too use 3.0. I find that length keeps the fabric from puckering. I also use the walking foot.

I too use 3.0. I find that length keeps the fabric from puckering. I also use the walking foot.

Blog Entries
    as with most things 'quilty' it really is a personal choice on the look you want. some people like itty-bitty stitches and quilt with something like 20 stitches to the inch, some think 12 stitches is great and then there are those who like the 'big-stitch' look and quilt at about 4-5 stitches to the inch. make yourself a little 'stitch-sampler' make a 12" block, sandwich it and stitch a line down it at the different settings, marking at the beginning of each line the setting #'s so then you have a reference and you can look at it, decide you want (this -stitch for this project) and you can set your machine consistantly for the look you like best.

Yup! 3.0

Depends on the fabric and batting , for the most part 2.5 or 3.0.

I use 2 or 2.5, don't know why. I just started there and liked the way it looked, so that is what I use.

I like the look of larger stitches, so I always use 4.5 or even 5. I find that this stitch is small enough to hold all layers securely and if you have to rip, it is not impossible to remove. I also find that the Janome walking foot tends to automatically use smaller stitches over thicker areas. Perhaps if I had the thread regulator option, this wouldn't be an issue. Experiment and see what works for you. No one is coming to measure your stitches and complain!

3.0 with the walking foot!

When stitching in the ditch I use a larger stitch size, usually 3.5 or 4. First I make a little sample quilt with some scraps, about 4" x 12", to check out stitch size and also thread color before I begin quilting. I find that the larger stitch doesn't pucker the fabric.

I leave thread tails where I begin stitching and where I end stitching. I later go back and bring front threads to the back, tie the front and back threads together and bury them in the quilt sandwhich. This is a pain in the butt but I do it because I tried beginning and ending with 0 stitch length but it doesn't always look as nice as I would like it to.

My Pfaff has a built in walking foot so that helps a lot.
    May in Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    as with most things 'quilty' it really is a personal choice on the look you want. some people like itty-bitty stitches and quilt with something like 20 stitches to the inch, some think 12 stitches is great and then there are those who like the 'big-stitch' look and quilt at about 4-5 stitches to the inch. make yourself a little 'stitch-sampler' make a 12" block, sandwich it and stitch a line down it at the different settings, marking at the beginning of each line the setting #'s so then you have a reference and you can look at it, decide you want (this -stitch for this project) and you can set your machine consistently for the look you like best.
    While I agree that 3.0 sounds about right, I like the idea of the stitch sampler to get an idea of what the different lengths look like, in case there comes a time to try something different. Thank you all for your very helpful advice!

I set my stitch to 3.0 for machine quilting. For FMQ, it doesn't matter, as I am the one moving the fabric.

2.0 to 2.6. BUT, I haven't taken the time to figure out how many stitches per inch that is. Eleanor Burns always says "15 stitches to the inch"....so.....what setting IS that?

If you are thinking of quilting in the ditch (which I hate to do), and your machine has different stitches, use a serpentine stitch and that way you don't have to stay strictly in the ditch because the stitches move from side to side of the ditch.

Blog Entries
    I use a 3 or 3.5 for SID work although sometimes I forget to change the settings and then I wonder why the darn thing isn't moving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by New knee
    If you are thinking of quilting in the ditch (which I hate to do), and your machine has different stitches, use a serpentine stitch and that way you don't have to stay strictly in the ditch because the stitches move from side to side of the ditch.
    i have done that before too..used a fancy stitch on a baby quilt..it turns out nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast