Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is it not a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-not-quilt-t104056.html)

bearisgray 03-01-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?

My Mom referred to it as "a summer quilt"

bearisgray 03-01-2011 11:27 AM

I think specific/accurate terminology is useful.

It also helps prevent misunderstandings - when everyone agrees on the definitions, that is! :?

There are many fields where specific terminology is helpful - medicine, biology, mathematics, anatomy, accounting - etc.

mouseface 03-01-2011 11:31 AM

any quilt that covewrs the bed and has a design and is either machine or hand quilted is aquilt

k3n 03-01-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think specific/accurate terminology is useful.

It also helps prevent misunderstandings - when everyone agrees on the definitions, that is! :?

There are many fields where specific terminology is helpful - medicine, biology, mathematics, anatomy, accounting - etc.

Absolutely! There has to be a 'standard' so we can hold a sensible discussion - in any subject! :-D

lydia coffman 03-01-2011 11:55 AM

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

lydia coffman 03-01-2011 11:58 AM

[quote=lydia coffman]hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

forgot to quote reply first...this was to that rasberry! I'm with ya.

missmabeliowa 03-01-2011 01:37 PM

I beg your pardon.
Webster's 2009 edition of the dictionary defines "quilt", a noun, as a thick, warm bedcover; a bedspead; a coverlet of two cloths sewn together with padding between".
A quilt on display is a far cry from some itty bitty thing quilted in construction serving as a wall hanging for decorative purposes only.

Kaye-Kaye 03-01-2011 01:43 PM

[I wouldn't argue with another quilter about whether her item is a quilt or not. What purpose would that serve?[/quote]

I agree completely with this. That would just be hurtful.

RST 03-01-2011 01:47 PM

A more complete dictionary would include quilt as a verb -- the action of stitching together 3 layers of fibers or fabrics in a utilitarian and / or decorative manner.

I do think there is value in making a distinction between patchwork and quilted works -- just for clarity of understanding, not as a value judgment on the works themselves.

I personally do not care a whole lot about drawing lines between utilitarian and decorative function -- there are a lot of fine lines not worth quibbling over there.

I do think that the skills and commitment that go into making a full sized quilt that can be used for years on a bed -- that is a different level from the efforts that go into making a pleasing place mat or mug rug, or even "stroller quilt" which you see a lot of people cranking out. They're lovely and fun, and worthy of praise, but they are not the same achievement as a full sized quilt. It's like the difference between a jaunty little limerick and a finely crafted sonnet or epic poem.

EdieClay 03-01-2011 02:04 PM

Someone told me once after I told them I was learning to machine quilt that she did "real" quilting by hand. I choose not to get in a discussion about what's real, what's a quilt ... I just say "well, good for you" and drop it! Those pesky quilt police ... they come in all forms.