Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is it not a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-not-quilt-t104056.html)

Rumbols 03-02-2011 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT

I ditto this

susanwilley 03-02-2011 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Homemother

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT

Giggle!

Yeah......what she said. lol

gaigai 03-02-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I subscribe to the techincal definition, because it just makes it easier. Quilting is the actual threadwork that combines/joins the layers together. Piecing or piecework is the combining of fabrics or other materials to create an image or design.
So to this ....its not a quilt until layers have been joined/combined with thread.
Its final function is of no consequence.

I agree. I call myself a quilter, but in reality I am a "piecer". I make the tops, but I detest the quilting part, so I stop there and send them to a LAQ'r to do the quilting. But I don't get hung up on the vernacular, and I would never tell someone their product "wasn't a quilt".

gaigai 03-02-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
What irritates me are wall hangings.
If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.

Sorry, no can do. I have hung full sized quilts on the wall for display. Does this make them less of a quilt?

And even I, who am totally left-brained and not at all creative, can figure out how to enlarge or add on to a smaller-sized pattern to make the final piece fit the bed. If I like the pattern, it doesn't matter what size the directions call for, it can always be made bigger, either by enlarging the pieces or adding complimentary borders and/or sashing.

Suzi 03-02-2011 04:56 AM

Interesting discussion ............

Tinabodina 03-02-2011 04:57 AM

Ditto! ROFL

Bye_the_Bye 03-02-2011 05:05 AM

They're lovely and fun, and worthy of praise, but they are not the same achievement as a full sized quilt. It's like the difference between a jaunty little limerick and a finely crafted sonnet or epic poem.[/quote]

I agree that quilts are like poetry, a small word for an all-encompassing genre.

jeanneb52 03-02-2011 05:46 AM

Who cares? You say tomato, I say tamattoe

kacy 03-02-2011 06:31 AM

ditto!!!!!

darlings7 03-02-2011 06:38 AM

I think the first quilt I made didn't have any quilting at all only because I didn't know better. It is my alvatar, I did applique on the back and design stitching on the border that only went through the top layer. It had a top, batting, and a backing. Does that mean its not a quilt?
I think it would be great to have an index for quilters that described all the terms including so many abbreviations I see all the time on this site which I have no clue what they mean................DUH !