Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is it not a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-not-quilt-t104056.html)

KS quilter 03-02-2011 09:20 AM

I agree, if it's quilted, it's a quilt. However, when I speak of my
own quilts, there are wallhangings, baby quilts and bed quilts.

KS quilter 03-02-2011 09:21 AM

I agree, if it's quilted, it's a quilt. However, when I speak of my
own quilts, there are wallhangings, baby quilts and bed quilts.

Homespun 03-02-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?

A SUMMER QUILT--sorry didn't mean to yell-- lol

jljack 03-02-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Unless they are in a show or being judged somewhere, I simply don't worry about it. I have too many other things to be concerned with.

Well said, Sadie. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Melinda in Tulsa 03-02-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?

A SUMMER QUILT--sorry didn't mean to yell-- lol

No problem! To me this is almost as much work as making a 3 piece (top, batting, back) as it is a 2 piece one! I can see a use for both.

lillybeck 03-02-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I define a quilt as a type of blanket with two layers of fabric stitched together with some kind of batting in between. (Of course a whole cloth quilt is a quilt!) I give credit to "quilts" that are not quilted, but tied, and to those that don't have batting (such as Cathedral Windows quilts, summer quilts, yo-yo quilts, etc.) A bag or garment that is quilted is not a quilt, but it is a quilted item.

I actually think that definitions are important for clear communication, but I wouldn't argue with another quilter about whether her item is a quilt or not. What purpose would that serve?

Very well said. A quilt is two layers with batting in the center and iether quilted or tied and therefor a quilt.

Suzi 03-02-2011 12:31 PM

"and I know she hand quilts because she is a twirp" - Glenda M. Oh Lordy - I wound up on the floor after reading that!!! WTG - Glenda

gramquilter2 03-02-2011 12:57 PM

Things have changed in the quilting world! I believe that art quilts are QUILTS if they are sandwiched and quilted in someway. I don't care if it's a purse, a wall hanging, or something you put on your bed. If I take one of my QUILTS that is bed sized and use it on my table does that mean it's not a quilt until I put it on a bed? I think not. Even quilters must change and grow.

glassnquilts 03-02-2011 01:00 PM

Still confused about Cathedral Window quilts and yoyo quilts. Neither has batting but I and many others consider them quilts. Are they? or should we care?

grandma Janice 03-02-2011 01:50 PM

I quilt quilts, some are queen size, some fit a regular size bed, some single size beds, some are lap quilts for people in wheel chairs, some are just a good size to cuddle up in on the couch. I also quilt wall hanging sizes, and table toppers and some table runners. I totally admire those ladies who can make miniature quilts.I also admire those ladies who make landscape quilts. I could never achieve that but I sure wouldn't tell them the weren't quilts. I think our grandmothers would say it was just plain silly to even be discussing this.