Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When piecing do you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-piecing-do-you-t16547.html)

lyndawn 02-15-2009 02:59 PM

I make one "sample " block first. Then I do step one of all the blocks and move on to step 2. If it seems too daunting, sometimes I'll break it down into sections and do all of step 1 for 10 blocks and on to step 2, etc till finished. Then I'll do another 10

Lynette

Marcia 02-15-2009 03:15 PM

If I am making a quilt that is the same block over and over again, I will chain piece and then put it all together at once. I cannot stand to make the same block over and over and over and over again, so the chain piecing helps it not feel so redundant. I guess I am a little ADD!!

Shemjo 02-15-2009 03:30 PM

I do make up one block to see if it works, size wise and color etc. Then I go for production with chain piecing! :lol: Even when paper piecing!

pocoellie 02-15-2009 03:40 PM

I usually chain mine, usually cut all at one time, etc.

CindyBee 02-15-2009 03:59 PM

I cut and then make one block at a time. I don't like assembly line sewing or feeling like I am in a race. Just prefer the variety of the different tasks as I sew. We're all different I see, and that's a good thing :)

sandpat 02-15-2009 04:53 PM

It depends on what pattern I am making. I don't like to cut..so I usually cut like one block type at a time. Also I change my mind...a LOT..so I don't like to pre cut too much at one time. Then I will definetly make up 1 entire block to make sure I like it and all my fabric choices, then I'll chain piece.

P/P- I make a block at a time.

littlehud 02-15-2009 06:25 PM

Like you if it is a new block I put one together so I can see if there are any problems. If not, I do it as a chain.

Mousie 02-21-2009 09:57 AM

Gail, keep on asking questions, bc they are good ones. learning a lot.

sulabug, love your stuff!

Don,...adorable baby in your av!...
you wrote: ...As for me, I'm a pinner from the start of a block, to sewing each block together, and then each row together.. At least I will have and ideal if the block's will go together, and the row's together, it will be somewhat squared....

so far, this is what i do, I guess bc I am learning to quilt in sections. anyone with arthur's or fibro. could benefit from this method. I am sure there are some projects I will probably do some chain piecing, but I have to label everything, to get my head back to where I was, when I get back from "life". everything outside, 'my cave', is life, everything inside cave is, 'heaven'! nothing but fun in cave! (hubby named it and i claim it!) :lol:

Lyn 02-21-2009 10:57 AM

I cut mine out and then do as much chain stitching as I can. (saves on thread.)

butterflywing 02-21-2009 03:29 PM

i do what a lot of others here do. i put each block together. if there's a problem, i want to know about it NOW! while corrections can still be made. i get sick of unsewing.