Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is a stash TOO BIG?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-stash-too-big-t103772.html)

grugirl 03-02-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
For me it is when I start feeling overwhelmed, when I no longer feel joy when I see it, when I no longer play with it, can't find anything, spend money I do not have, when I can't work in my studio because of all the stuff. I agree and think it is different for everyone. Two shelf units would be oodles of fun for me but your friends house would scare me. I do not think it has anything to do with if you ever use it or not.

I can agree with this. The overwhelming feeling that you have lost control or know what is there and what is not is when it begins to be too much. I also believe that we spend half of our life collecting those things that make us happy and half of our life getting rid of those same things. The same stashes we buy from other people now may very well become someone else's we when begin to go the other way with getting rid of some. Hoarding is a very real issue as most of us have witnessed in our lives or through the TV.

To expand on the original question a bit, my question would be: At what point does a stash become a hoarding problem? And/Or Do Stash builders become hoarders or were they already and just found a new thing to hoard?

grugirl 03-02-2011 06:19 PM

Also, to build on my previous post and Question Concerning HOARDING.. Here is a survey on the Oprah Winfrey website you can take to check and see if hoarding is an issue for you.
Of course this is only one source for inquiring about this OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) but it may give you a good idea if you have a problem. I scored at a 10 and it fit perfectly of where I believe I am in the survey.

http://www.oprah.com/home/Why-People...lsive-Hoarders

AnnaF 03-02-2011 06:59 PM

Wow that sounds like a huge amount of fabric! What an angel you are to help her sort it all out. In the grand scheme though if she takes pleasure from it I'd have to say it's ok for her. I have a lot of fabrics in my stash, actually need to take a day and get it organized one more time. I bought a lot of yardage the end of December at killer prices but I don't just buy any fabric because it's a great price, I still keep focused on what will compliment the fabrics I have on hand. I go for months just working out of my stash and that is such a good feeling.

grugirl 03-02-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
Wow that sounds like a huge amount of fabric! What an angel you are to help her sort it all out. In the grand scheme though if she takes pleasure from it I'd have to say it's ok for her. I have a lot of fabrics in my stash, actually need to take a day and get it organized one more time. I bought a lot of yardage the end of December at killer prices but I don't just buy any fabric because it's a great price, I still keep focused on what will compliment the fabrics I have on hand. I go for months just working out of my stash and that is such a good feeling.

This is a good point to make here Anna. When I buy, I buy with certain themes or collections I am working on. I am also wanting great prices of course but won't buy something just because it is cheap. It has to fit with my personal needs as a quilter.

Nana Lynn 03-02-2011 09:07 PM

I consider my stash to be moderate but now that I am retired I get to thinking if I can ever use it all. I am making a queen-size top now and have been thinking of using large pieces in my stash to make the backing. Including pieces that are in the top. A friend of mine said she had done that on several and she is a big quilter--has even won blue ribbons on some entered in the state fair.

wildyard 03-03-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Buying fabric may have given her a "high"...or a boost when she was down. She gets a good deal, and it feels good. I think that happens to alot of people. It is very nice of you to help her. Have you suggested that she donate some to a worthy cause?

You know, sometimes it's really hard to look in the mirror, but I really think you have hit my nail right on the head here. If it were just the fabric I loved, I would feel just as good paying regular price and buying something I love at my LQS. But no, I cannot enjoy that. I get that high you mentioned from finding fabric that is good but that I might not LOVE, at a real bargain instead.
I love making my quilts and having my stash to choose fabrics from. It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction. But it doesn't give me that "high". And my stash is fast getting out of hand because my sewing room is full. I vowed to not let my stash flow over into other areas of the house, but if I keep bringing in more bargains, something is going to have to give. I do use my fabrics. I make and donate quilts and I make them for my family and friends. So it's not like the fabric just sits around forever. However, I cannot make quilts as fast as I can bring fabric in from the thrift stores!! LOL
Mainly I want to thank you for your eye-opening comment, and now I have to sit back and take a good long look in the mirror. Perhaps it's time to increase my Cymbalta dosage if I'm needing something like this to lift my spirits without having realized it.
Hugggggs and smilessss, Linda

wildyard 03-03-2011 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Addendum to my previous comment: As I'm sitting here thinking, I realize that I am becoming increasingly attached to some of my fabrics also. When choosing fabrics to use, I often pass over certain ones because I like them too much and don't want them to go away, even if they would be perfect for the quilt I am planning.
I also realized that just yesterday, I bought fabrics to make a quilt that I have no intention of making because I love the fabrics.. on sale at Walmart for #3.00 a yard. In colors I don't have in my house... pink, black, white and tan. But they sure look pretty together. LOL. I have already tucked the lot of them away together in a back drawer where I can look at them but they are not on the shelves as part of my stash because I "knew" I was not planning to use them. OMG, I see the beginnings of an 80-something hoarder happening here.

so pretty together... sighhhhhh
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125033[/ATTACH]

winterpromise31 03-03-2011 02:14 PM

Wildyard, I love that brown and pink hearts fabric. Gorgeous! Your Walmart sells fabric?? The closest two to my house closed their fabric sections. :(

Just to contribute to the original question, I have no idea because I have almost no stash. lol. I might have two yards of fabric all together in 4 different prints. Probably less. Went to Joann's yesterday and drooled over fabric on sale but walked out with only the basting pins I showed up for. Silly me. hehe

grugirl 03-03-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by winterpromise31
Wildyard, I love that brown and pink hearts fabric. Gorgeous! Your Walmart sells fabric?? The closest two to my house closed their fabric sections. :(

Just to contribute to the original question, I have no idea because I have almost no stash. lol. I might have two yards of fabric all together in 4 different prints. Probably less. Went to Joann's yesterday and drooled over fabric on sale but walked out with only the basting pins I showed up for. Silly me. hehe

Wow, that takes serious control Winter. You should be proud. I don't have that kind of control. I went to the sewing expo today in search of deals. Got some fantastic fabrics but couldn't find much for tools.

wildyard 03-03-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by winterpromise31

Our closest Walmart doesn't sell fabric any longer but I was in the city for a dr. appt. so stopped in at the one there that still does. I learned that they will be closing out in April tho. :(