Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 AM

I have two tall bookcases, each shelf filled with piles of fabric, plus 9 drawers of scraps, a wall shelf of fat quarters, and a tall narrow set of shelves that hold all my tapestry fabrics for purses and totes. I don't buy much fabric anymore because I feel I have a good size stash, but at times, I think there are still spaces in my shelves that could be filled and a couple colors that I could use more of. I've vowed not to outgrow my shelves! Recently, I've started to ask myself when is a stash too big? I have been organizing an older friend's sewing room and sorting and folding her fabric. I've been working at it 3-4 hours every week or two for almost a year. She has soooooo much fabric, boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves and piles and piles - so much you can hardly walk in her sewing room. As I fold fabric and arrange on shelves by color, I start thinking I'm getting close to being done and suddenly there appears more boxes of fabric! I spent the night with her a few months ago and saw even more boxes of fabric in her guest room. I've seen some boxes in her bedroom too, and in the upstairs hallway and a second storage room upstairs. I separate her fabric into yardage, fat quarters and scraps (less than 1/4 yard). So far, I've filled 2 and a half huge boxes with scraps, a box with fat quarters, and two walls of floor to ceiling shelves with folded fabrics. Many of her fabrics are 10 yard pieces. She has many fabrics that are "vintage", thin, or just plain ugly. She is 84 and of course will never use even 1% of her fabric before she dies. And still, she buys more. She has 2 shelves, (8 piles) of white and cream background fabrics, mostly in 10 yard pieces. I just laugh and shake my head sometimes... she is a true hoarder! I look at my stash and ask myself, am I becoming the same way? When is a stash a good size, usable, valuable, and has hopes of being put to use in my lifetime, and when does a stash get too big and wasteful?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Each quilter has her/his own limit. I would consider my stash small. I usually have to buy one or two fabrics to complete a quilt. That's fine with me. I Love whole process from selection to binding.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM

For me, this is way over the top. I rarely buy fabric just because I like it. I always have a purpose in mind. My stash may be small but it is big enough to be able to put together a scrappy quilt or baby quilt on short notice. I don't ever want to feel like I can't go out and find some wonderful fabric for a project I want to make. I'd feel so guilty if I had rooms of fabric to look at..... with no plan in mind. I may be a strange bird.... but.... it's my story.....and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM

IMO, I think a stash might be too big if you never use it. I have finally gotten a decent size stash, mainly from yard sales and such. Mostly @ $1-2 a yard.

On the other hand, if it makes her happy to collect fabric and she can afford it, it sure isn't my place to judge.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM

My sister lived for her fabric & had to pay for storage facilities when it took over her 5 bedroom house. It became a real problem when she was losing her battle with colon cancer. She died in 2001 with no $ in the bank & when no longer able to work, no income to purchase food, etc. Unfortunately, a lot got trashed as there was just too much to deal with. I was able to move most of the over 2,500 quilting books 300 miles to my side of the state & have sent them all over the world to new homes.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM

Buying fabric may have given her a "high"...or a boost when she was down. She gets a good deal, and it feels good. I think that happens to alot of people. It is very nice of you to help her. Have you suggested that she donate some to a worthy cause?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
For me, this is way over the top. I rarely buy fabric just because I like it. I always have a purpose in mind. My stash may be small but it is big enough to be able to put together a scrappy quilt or baby quilt on short notice. I don't ever want to feel like I can't go out and find some wonderful fabric for a project I want to make. I'd feel so guilty if I had rooms of fabric to look at..... with no plan in mind. I may be a strange bird.... but.... it's my story.....and I'm sticking to it.
I think I will copy this and paste it on my wall for inspiration!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

I have a small stash of fabric. I have more kits. I like buying kits. I do use my stash for backings etc. I seldom buy fabric because I like it. I need to have a plan. If I like a quilt I see in a shop then I purchase all the fabrics for it. I think my stash is pretty controlled. I only buy backings for planned projects or when I need them and try and hit the 30% off sales at my LQS.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM

I have asked myself this question ... many times. I think its too big when you can not accomplish your quilting goals becasue the process of finding the fabric(s) in your stash is a project all in itself.... and you do not get on to your original goal of making quilts.
A second intidicator is that you purchase new because the process of finding fabric in your stash is just too overwhelming.
A third is that you often make the same purchase because you could not find or did not remember you had that same or very similiar fabric.
Fourth is that un-opened boxes/bags or opened but no place to put them are gathering.

I have taken the "oath" on fabric purchases since I realized that there have been times when a few of the above applied to me. A personal reality check was in order.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM

IMHO you are at a perfect point with your personal stash:) How nice of you to spend time with your elderly friend.

I must admit that I was blown away by your description of your friend's collection.IMHO -- again -- your friend is warehousing fabrics. Until you arrived on the scene to help to organize the collection, the material was limiting the use of her home. Perhaps, she can now appreciate the visible collection and even pet it lovingly.Bravo to you as you continue this archeological dig!