Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM

A stash is too big when it bothers or stresses you out. Donate, Sell, Give to a friend. Like my Dad used to say, "Give until it hurts or feels good."
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM

JoAnns has killed everything it seems except the high dollar LQS.

I hate monopolies although I also don't care for Walmart at all. Bummer for you though. Access is so much of the battle for finding what we need and during this serious economic downturn, it is getting harder and harder yet costing more and more. UGH.. I think it's time for bed for me. Negativity it not flattering to me at all.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Wildyard I know what you mean, I have just come in from making a cushion/pillow for my neice's birthday. They have just re-done their garden so from my stash of embroideries and appliques ( I have a big box of these that I do to fill time and keep for occassions like this) I chose a pretty house and garden embroidery and went to choose fabric to go with it, I passed up several because I liked them too much to use.
Then I thought, how mean and selfish am I, I felt so guilty ( nearly typed Quilty), I grabbed one that I really love and goes with the embroidery perfectly, and went and made it up. I feel better now, it looks great and she will love it too, Jen
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Seriously, I think there are many things to consider. If you have the money to buy, or not. If you have the room to house it, or not. If you hoard it, without using it. A lot of fabric allows us to be more generous with other quilters. When my sewing room is done I will be going through my fabric. I will get rid of the fabric I can't see myself using. A lot of it I will use for charity quilts and offer it to my quilt group. The bottom line is that I use my discrectionary funds to buy my fabric. It makes me happy to buy it, look at it, use it and share it. I could be buying and smoking crack!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM

When I got with my husband Jeff, I had been busy making quillows and quilts for the last 10 years and had way too much fabric. I had a mobile home as my "craft Room" that was 12 x 63 feet. We had to get rid of the trailer, so all the fabric was coming into the house. I "allowed" him to put the fabric that I wasn't going to use "mostly bolts" and sell it on Ebay. We probably sold about $4000 worth of fabric that way. I still kept my "quilting" pieces and are using them but my home is manageable and I have a happy husband. LOL
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I have come to the conclusion that it's time for me to buy what I need, not just blissfully buy. After reading all nine pages of this thread, I'm going to go make some sense of my "stash" for the umpteenth time! Most stashes need constant reorganizing.
Oh and I loaned my only working sewing machine (I have 2 other treadles) to a 4-H group--24 hours without a machine, I will get by, I will get by.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM

I have found a limit. As soon as my room shelf capacity is filled I will stop buying and ONLY buy when it is something I need to compliment my current fabrics. I caught myself dreaming about the next place to stash more fabric in my little house.. that was OUTSIDE my sewing room. I decided that was when it was getting out of control and will use that as my guide. In the meantime.. I am off to another Massive STASH SALE tomorrow. LOL
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM

When you can open a fabric store with your stash!! :lol:
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM

N E V E R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teach your daughters and grand daughters and your SS kids and the neighbors kids and everyone you meet who is the least bit interested to quilt and sew!! Volunteer to make things for Schools and churches ; costumes, womens and childrens shelters , rescue missions any thing and everything!!! There are soooo many needs to be filled and so much good to be done!! I wish I could work faster than warp speed!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 PM

When you think you have enough, or in the alternative, when you're reduced to sleeping in the garage because there's no more room in the house. lol