Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When will you consider a Long Arm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-will-you-consider-long-arm-t191262.html)

liont 06-09-2012 08:57 AM

When will you consider a Long Arm?

Here, I am assuming you are a hobbyist quilter, that is, you do not make quilts to sell.

When will you consider taking the plunge and investing in a Long Arm?
Has anyone done a cost analysis - include the one time price, material cost (thread, etc), and maintenance cost? How many quilts does it take to break-even compared to sending the tops out for professional long arm quilting? (This is an important question because husbands need to be convinced. LOL!)
I know many times it is more than just costs, it is the enjoyment of doing it, freedom to choose patterns, etc. But here I am looking at costs alone.

Anyone care to share? Thanks:)

twoxover 06-09-2012 09:02 AM

it's an excellent question, and one i have wondered about myself. No i don't have a long arm. i don't have the time to justify it..sigh.

DebraK 06-09-2012 09:15 AM

I never expected to break even with quilting. It is just something I love to do. My long-arm came from my husband who wanted to see me take my love of quilting as far as I could go. He is a believer in having the tools you need. I balked at the idea, even though it was my heart's desire. He won me with the argument, "if not now, when?". He is the one who really saw the need.

QM 06-09-2012 09:26 AM

I don't know where I would put one. DH has been eyeballing them for years.

dakotamaid 06-09-2012 09:35 AM

For a rough estimate just divide the cost of a LA setup with the average cost of someone quilting for you. As I said that is just a rough estimate but for me it was an eye opener.

PaperPrincess 06-09-2012 09:47 AM

My dealer called to tell me they had gotten a long arm setup as a trade in. They offered me a great price, a warranty and threw in some extras. She called on my birthday. I took it as a Sign From God.

DebraK 06-09-2012 09:54 AM

ours was a used set-up as well. Bought it on a whim visiting a quilt shop that was going out of business.

MaryMo 06-09-2012 09:59 AM

It sounds as if it were meant to be for you, Paper Princess. I've thought of a long arm but realized there is just not enough room in my home, but a mid-arm ... maybe, someday. But still have to do the research and justification .... do I really need this? It's just like buying a second car. Good luck, liont.

ontheriver 06-09-2012 10:52 AM

A long arm is on my wish list and I will get one as soon as I can afford it, which in today's economy looks to be a long time, sigh. I have a mega quilter on a home made frame that works fine for now but the quilting space is so limited.

Neesie 06-09-2012 11:16 AM

As much as I'd love to learn to LAQ, I figure my basic quilting skills need more work, first. Lots more work. :p Never mind that I have no room for one! LOL