Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When will you consider a Long Arm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-will-you-consider-long-arm-t191262.html)

w7sue 06-09-2012 01:26 PM

My husband bought me a Gammill at a garage sale last summer - it's huge - had to sell the pool table. I am learning, slowly but surely, how to use it. Have only taken one class, definitely would like to take more - why are they so darn expensive?????

I like making large quilts (king size) and at $300-$400 a piece for LAQ, I figured I could have paid for the darn thing in the years I have paid other people to do my quilting.

I have been doing quilts for a charity group (no pay), and have been getting better with practice. Not sure if I would be comfortable charging someone just yet - it's pretty scarry to take someone elses' baby and be responsible for making it into the final product.

We had to sell our pool table to make room for it - but, I really miss that pool table (alias, cutting table)!

sewplease 06-09-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver (Post 5276887)
.. I have a mega quilter on a home made frame that works fine for now but the quilting space is so limited.

Oooohhh, please tell us more about the homemade frame! :-)

SouthPStitches 06-09-2012 01:37 PM

Very honestly, when hell freezes over. I think LAQs are wonderful, but I will never have the money or a space big enough for one. Til then, I will continue hand quilting sometimes and paying someone to LAQs. Even if I had the money and space, I'm not mechanically or technically savvy enough to do any worthwhile justice to what I may have made.

Pam B 06-09-2012 01:51 PM

Well...I would very much like to have one. My main reason for wanting one is so I can LA my quilts when I want to instead of being at the mercy of someone else's schedule. I have no desire to custom quilt for others. Yes...one day I shall have one.

AnnieH 06-09-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5277008)
She bought it strictly for her own use .. but is constantly pestered by those who want to "borrow" her machine or beg her to quilt "just this one quilt". She says its like being the only one in the neighborhood with a pool on a hot summer day.

Excellent analogy.
Annie

cjackaitlin 06-09-2012 02:17 PM

How about the HQ 16 ? I think they are less expensive then a Long arm. Thats on my dream list.

jlm5419 06-09-2012 02:23 PM

I had been thinking about wanting one, because of how much it costs for professional quilting service. Then one day I was opening the mail and had received some unexpected $$. Fortunately, I was able to find a used system here on the Quilting Board and got it last April. I still need lots of practice, though. I don't think I'll ever be confident enough to work on others' quilts for pay.

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5276705)
Here, I am assuming you are a hobbyist quilter, that is, you do not make quilts to sell.

When will you consider taking the plunge and investing in a Long Arm?
Has anyone done a cost analysis - include the one time price, material cost (thread, etc), and maintenance cost? How many quilts does it take to break-even compared to sending the tops out for professional long arm quilting? (This is an important question because husbands need to be convinced. LOL!)
I know many times it is more than just costs, it is the enjoyment of doing it, freedom to choose patterns, etc. But here I am looking at costs alone.

Anyone care to share? Thanks:)

suebee 06-09-2012 02:27 PM

Check out the APQS website and look for a roadshow in your area. I went to one, learned alot and they give you several handouts, one of them being how many quilts you need to quilt to pay for your machine. Its a rough estimate, but great information. Im not buying one of their machines, Im going to be buying an A1 at the end of the years. Super machine.
Anyway, several women brought their hubbies to the roadshow (I chose NOT to) :) but they actually had some great questions, all which were answered by the APQS guys.
Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5276705)
Here, I am assuming you are a hobbyist quilter, that is, you do not make quilts to sell.

When will you consider taking the plunge and investing in a Long Arm?
Has anyone done a cost analysis - include the one time price, material cost (thread, etc), and maintenance cost? How many quilts does it take to break-even compared to sending the tops out for professional long arm quilting? (This is an important question because husbands need to be convinced. LOL!)
I know many times it is more than just costs, it is the enjoyment of doing it, freedom to choose patterns, etc. But here I am looking at costs alone.

Anyone care to share? Thanks:)

jcrow 06-09-2012 02:33 PM

I have a Bernina 830 and bought the LA frame that goes with it. The frame is sitting in my garage, still in the boxes, 2 years later. I had the choice of the frame or a desk. I should have picked the desk. I have not quilted on my machine at all. I don't have the desire to. I love to piece and applique and am learning to paper piece. I love taking my quilts to the LA quilters and talking it over with them what they will do with my quilt. They come up with some wonderful ideas I would never have thought about.
It just doesn't seem like something I would like to do. And I don't know what to do with the frame. I paid only $500 for it. It is all metal and white. There was a sale going on at the time and if you bought the machine you got to choose either the frame or desk so it was inexpensive. I thought "Oh, how much money I could save", not "oh no, I'll have to learn something I have no desire to learn". And I don't mean this disrespectfully. I have the upmost respect for anyone who quilts. It is way beyond me. I bow to anyone who machine, hand or LA quilts. It's just not something I want to do right now and haven't wanted to do for the last two years. Anyone want to buy a brand new LA table for $500? lol

rusty quilter 06-09-2012 02:44 PM

As much as I love piecing...I also love turning my top over to my long arm quilting for the finishing touches. It depends upon how you feel about your own work. I don't "love" the quilting--but do love the creative process of piecing. You need to have a long talk with yourself as to what you LOVE to do. If it is the actually quilting--go for it and forget having it "pay for itself". It is for the love of it.