Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When will you consider a Long Arm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-will-you-consider-long-arm-t191262.html)

grann of 6 06-10-2012 03:53 AM

I bought a Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter 18/8 a little over a year ago. It was the floor model so I got a good price on it. It does NOT have the computer. I got it to be able to do my own FMQ. I don't like the tightly quilted quilts you see; they seem so stiff. I do mostly gifting and charity quilts, but love the thought that I am doing the entire quilt from start to finish. I did not get it to make money off it. I want it to be something "fun" to do. There is a large learning curve and I am still in that. I try to make several quilt tops at a time, and then quilt one after another on the long arm. I wish my room was about a foot longer, but it works fine for me. I have no regrets in purchasing it, and have no plans to go computerizing it.

promenades 06-10-2012 03:59 AM

I just purchased a Crown Jewel with the 12' Pearl frame. I was going to get the HQ Avante, but I wanted Quilt Motion also. I have Lupus, RA, AS and some other issues and talked to my doctor about it. I have quilted for yeas and then my illness got in the way. After 4 yrs of battling it, I am now back on my feet. I am limited, but I need something to look forward to and feel like I have accomplished something. (I am creative). So, that being said, I needed something that glided and on the days I could not stand there or sit for long periods of time, the Quilt Motion would take care of that for me. I am so excited I can not wait for it to get here. I love to quilt and have done oversized kings on my large Brother, but my shoulders/arms can not take it anymore. So I got an awesome deal from a QS about 50 miles from me. They included so much other stuff that otherwise would nickle/dime you to death, that I will be ready with all I need and then some.
I am also thinking about quilting quilts for other people. I have to be careful and work at my own pace or I end up not being well for a bit and have to do what I call "recharge my battery". :) I have good days and bad days and go for infusions once a month. So I need something to do that I can work around my illness with. I do not/nor can I work anymore. I used to be a very busy woman that went 110%. So giving me back my sewing, embroidering and quitling has been God Sent for me.
So I can use all the advice I can get. :) This is going to be an awesome adventure! :thumbup:

pastorpatti04 06-10-2012 04:18 AM

I got a bailey 13" used for $500, I couldn't pass it up. I absolutely love, its just right for me since I can't seem to get the hang of fmq lol. They are only $1500 new, which is less than many sewing machines.

liking quilting 06-10-2012 04:30 AM

I don't expect to ever buy one; but you never know. Do you ever notice men don't mind buying whatever equipment or tools it takes to get the job done? Women feel they will "get by" and rationalize cost, space, etc.? I'm so new at this quilting that I'm just thrilled to learn a design well enough to brave it on my domestic machine. Really will try to be accomlsihed at fmq on my dm.

RugosaB 06-10-2012 06:40 AM

My answer is very specific to my situation:

Never, and here's why. In January '08 I suffered a traumatic brain injury. Though my recovery has been, in other people's words, 'miraculous' I still notice some changes. I have trouble with my short term memory.
What this means is that I have trouble with new electronic/mechanical things, like the new cable tv setup we got, and driving my husband's new truck. (I remember all the driving rules, so I do remember how to drive, but I don't drive without him next to me. In fact, when he's driving I still have to ask him the proper procedure for adjusting the heat, ac, radio. The brake, accelerator, turn signals are in the usual expected places, so I've got that)

So, I can only assume if I got a new sewing machine of any kind, I would have trouble. I'm very fortunate, all the sewing knowledge I had stuck (it's been up there 40 years or so), and I have a very reliable Viking 630. Learning FMQ is still a challenge, but I'm dealing with a machine I've had from the 80's, so that's one thing I don't have to learn.

In fact, I have 6-7 630's I've bought over the last few years, can you tell I don't want t be without my machine?

Mt husband has rigged up my sewing room, and table, so that FMQ is as easy as it can be, and I don't feel the need to justify a longarm, so there ill not be a longarm added to the mix

Judi in Ohio 06-10-2012 07:02 AM

Men never justify. It makes no difference if it will pay for itself or just their pleasure. Women always justify - we don't have to. I was tired of spending $400 per quilt (I make lots of quilts) and waiting on the LAers schedule. I had the room so I just needed a machine - and one fell in my lap. A once in a lifetime event. Some people have boats (can't use that excuse now), vintage cars - I like quilting and fabric. It keeps me out of the bars. Can you even image how much that costs? To your health and your wallet? Now I'm looking at the robots. Do you know how much they are? OMG It's always something.

btiny36 06-10-2012 07:06 AM

This funny, but I didn't decide my Fiance' decided only after the two quilts I sent out for custom quilting...He said hobby or not, in the long run, if I was making quilts like I was it would be far cheaper and a great investment to just buy one. LOL, who am I to argue hehehehe, so he bought me one back in 2009 for christmas....Spoiled I know.....

caspharm 06-10-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5276731)
I never expected to break even with quilting. It is just something I love to do. My long-arm came from my husband who wanted to see me take my love of quilting as far as I could go. He is a believer in having the tools you need. I balked at the idea, even though it was my heart's desire. He won me with the argument, "if not now, when?". He is the one who really saw the need.

When we moved to our current home, my DH said I could get one, since we now had the room. I was able to rent time on one at a LQS near our old home and that is where I learned to LA as well. I researched the different machines and when I was ready, we purchased one. The dealer even matched her show price for me, even though I bought it at her studio.

Definitely shop around and try different machines if possible (either at a show or a dealer), then buy the best machine for you. If it's a private party selling a used machine, see if you can try it out to make sure you and the machine are compatible. Also, measure the area where you plan to place it as well as know what size quilts you plan to sew on it. Most frames come in 10'-12' lengths, but you could get a smaller or larger size, depending on what's available.

sap 06-10-2012 07:16 AM

When I win the lottery; if I can remember to buy a ticket,,, not.

Bluehouse 06-10-2012 08:28 AM

Check out the Crown Jewel machine and frame. Baby Lock makes the Crown Jewel....it is a very affordable way to get into long arm quilting and is a GREAT machine. You can also add on a computer if you like so you can do edge to edge quilting and other specific designs.