Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you buy on impulse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-buy-impulse-t221844.html)

nancia 05-21-2013 04:15 PM

totally depends on how much money i have.
pat625-- i'm on the fabric moratorium, too. i am 'the bad example' so they asked me to stay, giggle. oh, i always wanted to be a bad girl". it seems if you tell me no i just go and do it. that's how i got my tatoo and belly ring. lol tmi??

graciemae 05-21-2013 04:55 PM

I usually buy at least 2 yards

rmbt_3 05-21-2013 05:02 PM

I dont do this anymore as I am not sure when I will use it and over the years my tastes change and then I cant use it in the quilts. What I do though is buy threads needles and blades for the rotary cutter. These are all items I will need and when I retire will not be able to afford as much so I stock up now.

deedum 05-21-2013 05:54 PM

5 yards- I like the way you think! Buying on a whim is the fun of it!

glenda5253 05-22-2013 09:47 AM

Oh this so sounds like me...I'm afraid you are hooked! I buy about 3 yds of fabric I just HAVE to have most of the time.

Boston1954 05-22-2013 10:03 AM

When I first started quilting, I would buy a quarter yard of the fabrics that I liked. Rarely would I get a full yard. Well, here I am many years later with lots of variety, but not much of any one thing. Well at least until 2009. That is when I told myself that it would be at least 2 yards or not at all. Sometimes I even get 3 yards. I still do a lot of scrappy quilts, but at least have the ability to do something more controlled if I wish.

charsuewilson 05-22-2013 02:34 PM

I originally bought 1 yard of a fabric I liked. Then I cut down to 1/2 yard. But then I found that I was missing lighter coordinating colors, so I usually get 2 yards of those.

If it's something that I know is for a single quilt, I try to get enough for that quilt. I rarely make anything smaller than queen size, except for baby quilts. Even the quilt for my parents' double bed is queen to king size. When they are no longer with us, it will fit the larger beds that most people have. I just wanted it to be small enough that it didn't drag on the floor.

Pat625 05-22-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6078005)
totally depends on how much money i have.
pat625-- i'm on the fabric moratorium, too. i am 'the bad example' so they asked me to stay, giggle. oh, i always wanted to be a bad girl". it seems if you tell me no i just go and do it. that's how i got my tatoo and belly ring. lol tmi??

Do you do the secret santa swap?? We can always use more company in the Naughty Corner..which ended the season as a bar!! LOL

SSK 05-22-2013 02:53 PM

Pat625- Buying on line is fun bc you can do it in your jamies, you hang in there and go girl! Quilting is what keeps us going on "bad days".

Sewnoma 05-22-2013 03:49 PM

I really like scrappy quilts and that's what I make the most of, so I almost always only get half-yards of fabrics when I'm buying on a whim. One yard if it's something I think I will use in more than one quilt; and rarely more than that, although I've gone all the way up to 10 yards when it's something that see that I get that "MUST OWN LIFETIME SUPPLY OF THIS!!" feeling about. (There's only been two fabrics I've bought that much of on a whim though, and I still have several yards of both left and don't regret buying a single inch of either.)

One of the LQS here sells half-yard precut batiks...ohhh that table is SO HARD to walk away from!! I want them all! I don't think I'll ever get tired of batiks.