Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you give a quilt away. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-give-quilt-away-t213997.html)

mom-6 02-16-2013 08:19 PM

Artsy one - generosity is never inappropriate ! You have a gift of love that "knows" who needs that special item at that particular time. Listen to your heart. It will not lead you wrongly.

Julie in NM 02-17-2013 03:56 AM

I've given lots of comfort quilts...friends co=workers going thru hard time ie...divorce, serious illness and always a lap quilt. Only give bed size to my sons and they told me the colors. Dh doesn't care what color of quilt. He's just thrilled I got it done!

quilterlaurie 02-17-2013 04:03 AM

Your quilts are wonderful----the baby quilts you made for my grandchildren were well received and very much cherished too, as well as my wallhangings.

ckcowl 02-17-2013 04:17 AM

family/friends i (gift) quilts to---are surprises---sometimes a family member or friend may put in a request...then they know one is coming.
i donate quilts to charitable organizations- i always check their policies, wants, needs first to make sure they would be accepted, have use for, and that i made them to their specifications/rules.

sandyl 02-17-2013 04:50 AM

Artsyone; what a wonderful charitable thing you've done. Wonder if she ever responded to you after she received the quilt you made. You are sweet!

brenwalt 02-17-2013 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf (Post 5865957)
Do you ask if someone would like one or do you surprise people? To me it seems like great big thing to give someone and a risk to surprise someone with. How often to you give them away in either of these ways? As a new quilter I already can tell I am in danger of being over run with these because I love making them.

Even a small wall hanging has hours and hours of dedicated and loving work involved. I only give quilts to people I know will want them. Usually I give them a "heads up" that I'm going to make a quilt for them and usually they enjoy having "input" into size, color, theme, etc. That in turn give them the gift of true "ownership" of the quilt in that they helped to plan it and were able to watch its progress during the making of the quilt. Made three king size quilts in this manner and the owners just love them!!

callen 02-17-2013 05:37 AM

I do mine for mainly Birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, etc. They are mainly for family or VERY close friends & so far, they have been "blown away" & very appreciative of all the time & effort it takes to make a quilt. I have not gifted full size quilts - so far they are just a little bigger than lap size, so that they can be used on a couch, a rocking chair or at the bottom of the bed. I usually pick a size about 60 inches x 72 inches approximately. I also choose neutral colours so there is a greater chance it will not clash with their decor. To date, they have been a big hit.

happyquiltmom 02-17-2013 05:58 AM

I give what I want, to whom I want. And, once given, do not look back. The quilt belongs to the recipient, to treat how they wish.

That being said, my nieces and nephews "expect" to get a quilt when they have a baby. I went to a baby shower for one of my nieces several years ago and gave her a baby quilt...she cried with joy.

Another time, I didn't quite have the baby quilt done for another niece, so I gave her some cute Carter's outfits. When the baby was born, I gave her the quilt, and she said, "Oh, good! I was so worried I wasn't getting one!"

meanmom 02-17-2013 06:02 AM

I was going to make a quilt for my SIL. We were out to lunch one day and I made an excuse to stop at the LQS for something I needed. She was drooling over a couple of fabrics so I bought them and made them in to a quilt. She had no idea she was picking out fabrics for her own quilt.

Pat625 02-17-2013 06:02 AM

I make quilts for family and friends..so far everyone has been thrilled to receive them...With 14 grandbabies, I have a long way to go..9 are done. THen I will make them for my 9 children...(2 done already)...In between I love to make baby quilts for friends and other misc stuff!