Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-your-married-engineer-there-no-such-thing-%22simple-request%22-make-big-board-ironing-board-t123633.html)

wvdek 05-17-2011 02:48 AM

Thanks for the early morning laugh.
My DH is so toatally opposite of all these guys. Tell him what I want, next thing I know, I have it. Occassionally he may let me know what may be an improvement (and it usually is) and it's a done deal.
I don't think I could handle an engineer in the house ;}.

jeaninmaine 05-17-2011 02:54 AM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut the wood for you, then finish it and have it in use. That way he can re engineer it to his heart's content, but you'll already have what you want.

emerald46 05-17-2011 03:05 AM

lol....42 yrs here with an engineer. I would rather pay someone to build something than get his mind involved.

Krystyna 05-17-2011 03:12 AM

My husband is not an engineer, but his tendencies are similar to yours. I found a way around all the excessive planning - I start to do something myself - tearing down a wall, taking out a ceiling light, ripping up floor tiles ... he becomes dismayed and finishes it while I go happily back to quilting, sewing, canning, gardening ... :-D

Hen3rietta 05-17-2011 03:13 AM

I remember asking my Dad for an easel when I was in my teens. You know..the three legged kind. I wound up with a full size tiltable drafting board. Beautifully crafted but so not what I wanted or needed. I've remembered the experience ever since and when my DS asks me to make him something I try very hard not to go over the specs.

Gerbie 05-17-2011 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Do not ask a Journeyman electrician or a Master Welder to do anything either. My BF made it sound like he was going to add Stadium Lights above my sewing area, then he was going to weld them into place. I believe he said something about adding hydraulics so they could recess into the ceiling. When he was out of town, I went and bought an Ott Lamp.

Your solution is just so funny, but actually the best. I have so enjoyed this thread. DH is an accountant and DB is a retired contract welder in the oilfield. You never tell either what you want or just show pics. because something totally different will appear in their minds, with a different solution or way of doing it which is usually so complicated, I just want to throw up my hands and scream. But then they don't understanding my cutting up larges pieces of fabric and sewing them back together either, so I guess it all comes out the same in the long run.

num1momva 05-17-2011 03:21 AM

This was definitely my laugh for the day! Been there, done that!! I used to give my ex jobs in pieces. He never could see the finish product when I describe it. I still do the same even now that I am the 'Honey do list' and the 'Honey do'! Just use the kid and Home Depot!

deedum 05-17-2011 03:23 AM

Now that is funny! I understand it too, although I am not married to an engineer, but one would think he is! He made me a big board ironing board. It is a dandy, he made it wider, more stable and rounding the corners so I wouldn't get hurt bumping into them. He sanded it so smoothly so I wouldn't get splinters. It was just to beautiful to even cover up! That is the way he does everything, top notch! I love my ironing board,I love my dh!

twinkie 05-17-2011 03:26 AM

If yours is like mine (retired nuclear engineer), don't ask him a question about how to do something or how something is made unless you have a lot of time. LOL. His daughter often tells about the time when they were little, sitting around the table, and her younger brother asked Scott how a traffic light works. 45 minutes later, they could make one with the information he furnished. However he is very helpful on most things.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I'm determined to get a big board type ironing board (homemade). I read the tutes & testimonials, and I even bought a new cover that will be perfect for a big board.

So I tell the husband "please cut a piece of 1/2" ply 18 x 48". Simple. Precise. Concise.

Naturally he wants to know why. So I tell him. I explain what and how I want to iron, and I show him what happens on my current (regular) ironing board.

He has found several things wrong (in his mind) with the concept and has spent the last two weeks over-engineering (in his head) my SIMPLE and CHEAP ironing board.

It will be too heavy.
It will be too wobbly.
It will soak up steam and starch and the ply will separate.

It seems like every time I have an idea to make something, he steps in and over-engineers the heck out of it and tells me I need something completely different than my original specs. You should have seen the whelping box he made, my bitch hated it and the puppies didn't like it much either.

So he looked at ironing boards online, you know the cute little ones that fold up into the wall (which are fantastic if I was only ironing shirts!) and told me "this is what you need". NO IT'S NOT!! Why can't he listen to me when I tell him what I NEED. I want to iron 44" of fabric across the board ... pretty simple concept isn't it?

Then there was the brilliant idea of ... 1/4" aluminum. We have tons of that stuff in stock (it's used for the beds on our machines). Thankfully the widest he can get it is 12". Whew!! Caught a break there!!

At the moment in his head I "need" a 1" thick (!!) piece of solid Birch (!!!), my dimensions (how'd I swing that?), marine varnished (indeed!!), and I need new legs that have a wider spread for stability.

Oh save me.

Being married to an engineer is trying sometimes.

PWinston 05-17-2011 03:27 AM

Oh, so sorry . I have the opposite issue in that my husband cannot do anything handy -- it takes three trips to hardware store just to change light bulb. My suggestion, do you know any other handy gentlemen in the area? If not, just purchase one on-line. Mine was made by someone who sold them in a LQS when I lived in Texas. Very simple design. Large piece of wood, shirting strips all around bottom side and then moveable latches that you turn to hold it down to ironing board. And, your husband is right, it's not the sturdiest/steadiest but it's never fallen over either. It is bulky but can easily be removed and stored separately from ironing board.

Good luck in getting one. They are well worth it to iron large pieces of fabric and large quilt tops.