Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you get your quilting books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-get-your-quilting-books-t99677.html)

PaperPrincess 02-14-2011 05:43 AM

I buy used often. I also look for older titles and remainders at Hamiltons. I sometimes think I spend more on books than on fabric! I also buy at thrift stores, just grab any quilt titles I can. If, after looking at them at home, I decide it's not to my liking, I just re-donate! But I will pay retail if it's something I really want. Let us know if you decide to go ahead.

Happy Treadler 02-14-2011 06:05 AM

I think it depends on the book. I love to collect quick, simple quilting books like table runners, potholders, and wall hangings to have on hand to make quick gifts. I very rarely buy anything over $15 bucks if ever. Yeah, I'm cheap too! Also depends on shipping costs. Maybe offer to ship them via Media Mail if only ordering a book?? That's really cheap.

kateyb 02-14-2011 06:30 AM

I get most of my books from Amazon. It is the best place to get some of the out of print books.

Deborah12687 02-14-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
I have an opportunity to buy a ton of out of print quilting books from a wholesaler, (for my website)...but I don't want to just jump in and do it.

Is there already a site on the web that specializes in books for quilting. I know just about every quilt site will sell something. I am talking about listing hundreds of titles exclusively about quilting.

Thanks,
Harry Barnett

You should check into selling on Amazon.com an idividual.

harryb1834 02-14-2011 07:40 AM

I tried it a couple of times and I got very confused on how to become a vendor for Amazon. I may look into it again since millions of people do use it.
- Harry

I still have not seen a post for a site that exclusively sells discounted quilting books. HMMM.

llcox 02-14-2011 07:42 AM

Besides Amazon and ebay, I have gotten many good quilt books at paperbackswap.com and alibris.com.

Butterflyblue 02-14-2011 07:45 AM

I have quilting books i've bought both second-hand and new. Secondhand are just things I ran across and they happened to be cheap. If I want something specific, usually seems like I have to get it new and pay Amazon prices.

amma 02-14-2011 08:08 AM

I have bought used books from Better World, I believe it is called.

Amazon is another place that I will search for used copies :D:D:D

QuiltQtrs 02-14-2011 08:46 AM

My best source for ALL books is Daedalus Books. You get a catalogue
periodically, and prices are very low for new books, low $5.95 postage
no matter how many you order! Great phone "clerks".

greenini 02-14-2011 01:33 PM

I buy from Hamilton, yard sales, thrift shops, Amazon, new bookstores only on sale or remainder, LQS, chain stores again, only on sale or with coupon. Also use the wish list on Paperbackbook Swap.

If you do set up, please let us know, altho I'm trying to reduce my collection and be more discriminating, there are more books I still want.