Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your quilting books?

Blog Entries
    I have an opportunity to buy a ton of out of print quilting books from a wholesaler, (for my website)...but I don't want to just jump in and do it.

Is there already a site on the web that specializes in books for quilting. I know just about every quilt site will sell something. I am talking about listing hundreds of titles exclusively about quilting.

Thanks,
    Harry Barnett

What a great opportunity! Good Luck with this adventure and keep us updated!

We have a local "junk store" that purchases books in large quantities and sells them for $2-5.00. When I walk in the store I head right to the book section. I've bought tons of novels, cookbooks, and quilting books there--that's the only reason I go in there. The books are about a year behind the best-sellers but I don't care about that. It would be great to find discounted quilting books; I won't buy a new one. Too many things on internet for free.

I've gotten many used books from library sales and a few at quilt show white-elephant sales. I hope you get a REALLY good price wholesale. I only spent 50 cents on most, sometimes $1.( Yes, I'm cheap.)

Blog Entries
    I will try to get a bargain, but I don't think they will sell them off at .50 cents each. Now that would be a great deal!

Amazon, ebay, sales at local quilt guild & Joann's with coupon. A very few at LQS-(too expensive)

Banned
    If I want it new Amazon; used I buy from one of Amazon's used listings

I buy new or used and from any source. My favorite finds are bargain books at thrift stores and yard sales, but have purchased many brand new at bookstores and fabric/quilt shops.

I just bought several at a used book sale at the library. My mom got a few for me in Paduca and I have obtained several excellent ones from QB members when they were weeding out their collections.

I LOVE quilt books and magazines but hate to pay new, quilt shop prices for them. I like to buy from this site or on a couple of yahoo groups where individuals sell sewing and/or quilting items. If all else fails I will buy from Amazon. If you decide to buy the books, let us know ... I for one will definitely check your website out.

Susan

Blog Entries
    I buy used often. I also look for older titles and remainders at Hamiltons. I sometimes think I spend more on books than on fabric! I also buy at thrift stores, just grab any quilt titles I can. If, after looking at them at home, I decide it's not to my liking, I just re-donate! But I will pay retail if it's something I really want. Let us know if you decide to go ahead.

I think it depends on the book. I love to collect quick, simple quilting books like table runners, potholders, and wall hangings to have on hand to make quick gifts. I very rarely buy anything over $15 bucks if ever. Yeah, I'm cheap too! Also depends on shipping costs. Maybe offer to ship them via Media Mail if only ordering a book?? That's really cheap.

I get most of my books from Amazon. It is the best place to get some of the out of print books.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb1834
    I have an opportunity to buy a ton of out of print quilting books from a wholesaler, (for my website)...but I don't want to just jump in and do it.

Is there already a site on the web that specializes in books for quilting. I know just about every quilt site will sell something. I am talking about listing hundreds of titles exclusively about quilting.

Thanks,
    Harry Barnett
    You should check into selling on Amazon.com an idividual.

Blog Entries
    I tried it a couple of times and I got very confused on how to become a vendor for Amazon. I may look into it again since millions of people do use it.
    - Harry

I still have not seen a post for a site that exclusively sells discounted quilting books. HMMM.

Besides Amazon and ebay, I have gotten many good quilt books at paperbackswap.com and alibris.com.

I have quilting books i've bought both second-hand and new. Secondhand are just things I ran across and they happened to be cheap. If I want something specific, usually seems like I have to get it new and pay Amazon prices.

Blog Entries
    I have bought used books from Better World, I believe it is called.

Amazon is another place that I will search for used copies :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    My best source for ALL books is Daedalus Books. You get a catalogue
    periodically, and prices are very low for new books, low $5.95 postage
    no matter how many you order! Great phone "clerks".

Blog Entries
    I buy from Hamilton, yard sales, thrift shops, Amazon, new bookstores only on sale or remainder, LQS, chain stores again, only on sale or with coupon. Also use the wish list on Paperbackbook Swap.

If you do set up, please let us know, altho I'm trying to reduce my collection and be more discriminating, there are more books I still want.

our guild buys all the books and we can check them out thru the guild or i use my library.

i prefer to use this method since i very rarely find myself referring back to a quilt book over and over again.

www.bookdepository.co.uk

Their books are 1/2 to 1/3 of what we pay here in Australia, AND they have FREE worldwide delivery.

They have hundreds of quilting books.

OOPS! Sorry, double message.

Aussie Quilter, Thanks for the link. I like the way they set up the site and the selection of books.

As for the original question. I tend to buy books wherever I find them. I've purchaswed from regular bricks and morter stores, Amazon, other internet vendors, thrift stores, library sales. You name it, I've probably bought a book that way.

I get most of mine from rummage sales, thrift stores, ect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast