Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-keep-your-ironed-fabric-while-you-cutting-t243397.html)

quiltstringz 03-19-2014 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6631968)
I have one of those wooden laundry drying racks( little wooden dowels) That folds flat when your done with it. I use it in my sewing room all the time.

This is what we use also when needed. Normally I am only working with 1 piece at a time but sometimes iron it all and then cut

donna13350 03-19-2014 06:46 AM

I got a sturdy center roll from from a wide roll of burlap..(ask at joanne's..they'll give them to you)..it stands up tucked in a corner till I need it..then I lay it across the top of 2 tall bookcases to keep my ironed backing on or across 2 chairs for smaller cuts.

fayeberry 03-19-2014 06:48 AM

Over the railing in upstairs hall. But usually I just iron and cut, then iron the next piece.

Purpleprint 03-19-2014 06:51 AM

I am yet another iron and cut one at a time. I don't have enough room to do anything else.

tessagin 03-19-2014 06:59 AM

I just iron a few pieces at a time unless it comes out of the dryer really wrinkled then I use the steam iron right away.

Snooze2978 03-19-2014 07:21 AM

I starch and iron all the fabric I think I'll need plus a little extra for miss cuts. I hang them up on a hanger so my ironing board is free for ironing seams when I get to the sewing part. I tend to cut for my borders too so I keep them on a separate hanger so I don't get them mixed up while cutting for the blocks. This keeps them flat and unwrinkled till I need them. My sewing room is int he basement with open rafters so I can put my hangers above on a stray nail from previous owners. When I starch my fabrics I do the same, hang them on hangers over the sink till they're just about dry and then iron them all at one time. This keeps my ironing board and cutting table basically free for cutting fabrics and keeping the instructions nearby. I have a design wall to arrange my blocks before stitching them together.

Kehoeta 03-19-2014 07:58 AM

I hang the extras from Pants hangers..

Annie Pearl 03-19-2014 08:02 AM

I starch and iron everything and then cut as the directions tell me to. After that I leave it on my cutting table. This works well for me and my disorganized world. I probably should label the pieces but I don't so it might not work for a more organized quilter.

CAS49OR 03-19-2014 10:51 AM

I bought a rolling clothes rack. Hung the fabric on extra big hangers, used clips for smaller pieces so they would hang straight. Worked great when I was paper-piecing a large quilt. I could cut off a piece of each color as needed.

JanieH 03-19-2014 11:36 AM

If they are short enough, I use skirt hangers and hang them up. For longer pieces I have a wooden laundry drying rack and I fold them over that.