Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   White fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-fabric-t49475.html)

jan22 06-14-2010 10:04 AM

I've discovered there are two very different fabrics that can be confused by the name of Kona. I first found the Kona Bay cotton which is a very smooth soft cotton. Used that and went looking for more. That's when I found there is also kona cotton which is more coarse and not so soft. I actually had to go back to the original seller to find the Kona Bay cotton again. That wasn't easy because the lady left the original shop and opened her own in another state. But it was worth the effort because Kona Bay is so much nicer.

roselady 06-14-2010 10:13 AM

I recently bought RJR cotton supreme, It is very nice.

Bernice H in Calif 06-14-2010 10:18 AM

I have used both kona's white and Southern Belle. I prefer the SB when I can find it.

butterflywing 06-14-2010 04:09 PM

if you buy kona at joann it is a different and lesser quality. if you hold it up and compare it to kona sold at a real lqs, you can immediately see the difference. it is much thinner. if you want a decent white go to a private lqs.

sometimes a reputable fabric company will manufacture down (that is, lower their standards) in order to meet a lower price point for a chain of stores. the fabric store, in this case, JA, gets the 'name brand', kona gets the huge contract to supply the JA stores and we get stuck with very slightly less than kona prices and yucky JA quality.

Corky 06-14-2010 04:24 PM

That is so interesting, I love my Kona cotton white, I like the crispness without the scratchy roughness. It feels like good quality and I get it at my LQS, rather than JoAnns.

Thanks for the info. It explains alot.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
if you buy kona at joann it is a different and lesser quality. if you hold it up and compare it to kona sold at a real lqs, you can immediately see the difference. it is much thinner. if you want a decent white go to a private lqs.

sometimes a reputable fabric company will manufacture down (that is, lower their standards) in order to meet a lower price point for a chain of stores. the fabric store, in this case, JA, gets the 'name brand', kona gets the huge contract to supply the JA stores and we get stuck with very slightly less than kona prices and yucky JA quality.

Rainy Day 06-14-2010 04:30 PM

I use the backs of mens shirts when I need whites, I buy them second hand, and I only buy ones that are really good quality. I picked up 3 this weekend for a scrappy challenge project, and they were pierre cardin - lovely thick cotton, soft creams and one with a pale cream print. All for $2 australian! The project is a $20.00 - 25.00 quilt top, as that is what we pay per metre down here.

dmarcho 06-14-2010 04:42 PM

I use the Kona cotton as well. I usually get it at the local Hobby Lobby. We no longer have a JoAnn's ( and judging from an earlier post that is not entirely a bad thing.)

dljennings 06-14-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I use cotton sheets if I need a solid white. You can always find one on sale.

that's what i do too....just easier to find a solid white in the linen dept.

Dingle 06-14-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have some 30's repros that I'm going to use and have never used white before. I'm thinking I should use a plain white and not a tone on tone. Or maybe an off white. I just need to figure what pattern to do.

Thanks

bearisgray 06-14-2010 06:18 PM

To help decide if a white-white, or off-white would work better with your fabrics - lay them out and see if the majority of the white in them is white-white or creamy-white and choose accordingly.