Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who manufactures what???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-manufactures-what-t178206.html)

Kay in Iowa 02-07-2012 07:18 AM

I have 3 Janome's and had a real problem with one dealer. I think the service person is far more important than the dealer. My advice is find a real good service person and then get the best price - even if it means driving to get it - most dealers seem to be more attached to their machines than they are my money - which I have ALWAYS thought was an ODD thing. They make thousands of machines a day - they can get more - but they seem to want to keep theirs? ? ? ? Love my Janome's - think they are well built and easy to learn and use. But - I like my money too!

denveremerson 02-07-2012 07:48 AM

A lot has changed!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 4944394)
I am in the process of researching a new machine. I have always been a die hard Janome fan but after ANOTHER unpleasant interaction with my local Janome dealer, I am opening myself up to the idea of going with another brand. I only say this as the next closest Janome dealer is over 2 hours away and the area that we are eventually going to move to out of state it will also be over 2 hours. I know that I will be taking test drives of any machine that I am interested in; too much money at stake to go in blind!

I found this article and I was suprised by some of the information. I know that others may be ahead of me in the game of "who owns what" but I found the article informative. It is dated 2/2008 so there might be newer information. I found it amusing that this gal sent her husband on a fact finding mission and he jumped in with both feet.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/

Just remember, this article was last updated 4 years ago. I've heard that the Kenmore is no longer made by Janome, but is now being produced in a Singer plant in China. A lot has changed in the last 4 years!.

auntpiggylpn 02-07-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by denveremerson (Post 4951535)
Just remember, this article was last updated 4 years ago. I've heard that the Kenmore is no longer made by Janome, but is now being produced in a Singer plant in China. A lot has changed in the last 4 years!.

I just thought this was interesting. I was amused by the husband doing so much research for something he knew nothing about. I stated in my original post that it was dated 2/2008 and that things may have changed since then.

patski 02-07-2012 08:45 AM

I have 2 Vikings, the top and bottom of the line! Of course I use the cheaper one MOST of the time. Both do a great job and I've had them about 5 years!

patski 02-07-2012 08:59 AM

This was really interesting. I have the lowest end Viking and the highest. both are great but I find I use the cheapest one the most!

winia 02-07-2012 09:55 AM

As a further update, it is my understanding that Singer, Viking and Pfaff are now made in Shanghai.

Landers 02-07-2012 10:45 AM

Thanks so much for sharing this website. I truly enjoyed reading it!!!

nstitches4u 02-07-2012 10:55 AM

Very interesting! Thanks for the link. I was aware of some of the things in the article, but learned a lot that I didn't know. I own several machines. My newest, and favorite, is a Babylock Ellisimo. I also have a Janome Enterprise 10 needle embroidery machine (I have a home-basedmachine embroidery business.), Viking Saphire 870, a Janome 6600P, a Janome 3160QDC, a Brother CS80 (bought from Costco), a Singer 90-15, a Singer Featherweight and an antique Singer Treadle. I love them all. Most machines are reliable if you take care of them and clean them regularly.

nstitches4u 02-07-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by winia (Post 4952002)
As a further update, it is my understanding that Singer, Viking and Pfaff are now made in Shanghai.

I was told by the dealer that I purchased my Viking Saphire from that Vikings were being made in China. When I bought my machine, he traded a machine from his inventory to another dealer so that I could get a machine that was one of the last machines made before they moved production to China.

squires1042 02-07-2012 11:08 AM

Great article, I am going to pass this on to the local quilt group. I know what you mean about dealers who are not honest and to that end I will not ever use or recommend some of them to anyone ever again.

I am a diehard Pfaff user and older singer or Kenmore user but will never buy a new machine from the dealer again or use the services offered.

I have found many others who are far easier to deal with and customer oriented and I will continue to support them instead. Bad experiences with dealers make me run for cover really fast.