Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who manufactures what????

Blog Entries

Who manufactures what????

I am in the process of researching a new machine. I have always been a die hard Janome fan but after ANOTHER unpleasant interaction with my local Janome dealer, I am opening myself up to the idea of going with another brand. I only say this as the next closest Janome dealer is over 2 hours away and the area that we are eventually going to move to out of state it will also be over 2 hours. I know that I will be taking test drives of any machine that I am interested in; too much money at stake to go in blind!

I found this article and I was suprised by some of the information. I know that others may be ahead of me in the game of "who owns what" but I found the article informative. It is dated 2/2008 so there might be newer information. I found it amusing that this gal sent her husband on a fact finding mission and he jumped in with both feet.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

A very informative article. Thanks for sharing. FYI - I do like my Viking. Do some preliminary homework on warrenties. Even though my Viking now 18 years old never needed ANY work ( exception a periodic cleaning) , it was nice to know if something serious went wrong it was going to be covered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    A very informative article. Thanks for sharing. FYI - I do like my Viking. Do some preliminary homework on warrenties. Even though my Viking now 18 years old never needed ANY work ( exception a periodic cleaning) , it was nice to know if something serious went wrong it was going to be covered.
    It is my plan that I will only be buying from a dealer. I am not that interested in the free classes and such that comes with purchasing from a dealer. I just want a dealer that is pleasant and helpful no matter if the machine is a high end or low end. And I don't want to be treated like I am uneducated about what I am looking at buying. I had to take my Janome in for a repair (warrenty expired) which turned out to be one of the screws had come out of the bottom and the rattle sound I heard was the bottom plate and was looking at the 7700. They wanted $3000+ for it. When I questioned the cost, they decided that they could sell me one for $2500 without a table, extension table and other accessories that would come with the machine at another dealer for the same price. And were unwilling to take my machine in as a trade even though they had just serviced it and know that this machine is in excellent condition. DONE DONE DONE with them!!!
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 02-05-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the information! It was very interesting and somewhat depressing. Is it too much to ask for good quality goods at a decent price without outsourcing? Knowledge is power so I am now armed!

Banned
    Everyone should read this article even if you already have a machine. Good information here. Valuable information here.

I do love my Vikings, however there are many great machines out there! So sorry about your dealers, I have been doing business with my Husquvarna Viking dealer since the 80's and they are just wonderful! However that is not to say all Viking dealers would be like this. I guess you will have to shop around. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the article. Some good info to read. It never hurts to know!
    Bonnie

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    This article really helped my confused mind about a new machine! Thanks for the link!
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Thank you, that answers a lot of questions I have had. So glad I still have my 1958 Singer 401A. The newer ones come and go but she is the one I use the most and will keep her always.

Have you considered reporting your dealer to Janome? They cannot afford to have dealers like that.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I don't know if there is a really great machine any more. I did a lot of searching last year and found that since so many are not made in the Country of origin any more that quality has suffered a great deal. I have an Viking that is about 6-7 years old and I am hoping it will out live me so I don't have to try and adjust to a lesser quality machine.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing the article
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

That article was fantastic and very long. It made me feel good because I am a Bernina owner and promoter. I fell in love with them when I worked for about a year in a Bernina Dealer's shop that made their daily bread by doing custom dressmaking and alterations. After working daily on a Bernina I just had to have one or 4. The only other brand machines I own are a Brother embroidery machine in addition to my Bernina embroidery machine. Actually the Bernina one was made with a Brother patent. Since I have almost worn out my Bernina Embroidery machine the only other machine I could get that would use the same software etc. was a brother. I also have a Singer Featherweight as my mother had one and she taught me to sew. I purchased the one I presently have at a yard sale. It was obvious that the persons doing the selling didn't have a clue what they were getting rid of. I only paid $20. There had been a death in the family and some of the relatives were cleaning out the house. After turning over the money I ran to my car with my prize. I gave my mother's featherweight, purchased in 1936, to my neices as she had taught them to sew on it. It was well used and well past it's prime.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

This is why I have my three trusty Featherweights and my ancient Bernina.
    Diana

I read this all the way through but I do have my doubts to all the information contained within simply because I guess I am one that likes to see links to substantiate what is being said.....in other words.....sources. I guess when I do decide to buy a new machine I'll still do my own due dilligence.

I own all vintage Singers and actually bought a Janome from Joann's in San Antonio, Texas for my daughter. Brought it back to her home and set it up for her and to my surprise it sewed like a dream and all for $149.00 so I feel the analogy of $1000 for a decent machine is, in my opinion, malarky!
    Last edited by lfw045; 02-05-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

My Viking D1 is 13 years old and have never been "repaired" just serviced with updates a few times. It has never given me a problem and I just hope it never does. I do have a problem with the bobbin winder now not wanting to work all the time and guess if it continues guess I'll check on repair cost. I went to my local Viking dealer and asked the price of a good used D1 and he said about $1000. I couldn't believe it but I'm sure the markup is great as he gets these in as trade ins.

I guess this is why the "vintage" machines prices are getting higher and higher... I sure wish we could make a machine in the United States!

Hardly anybody will take used machines on trade anymore. They can't sell them for much, and anyone they sell the used machine to would have been a candidate to have bought a new machine at a higher profit margin.

And if anyone complains about the profit margin of a sewing machine dealer, consider that your restaurant food costs only about 25-33% of your price. I don't hear anyone complaining horridly about the profit of restaurants though. Buildings, staff, utilities, all the "free" classes, training for staff - there are lots of costs that are not always obvious.

Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    Hardly anybody will take used machines on trade anymore. They can't sell them for much, and anyone they sell the used machine to would have been a candidate to have bought a new machine at a higher profit margin.

And if anyone complains about the profit margin of a sewing machine dealer, consider that your restaurant food costs only about 25-33% of your price. I don't hear anyone complaining horridly about the profit of restaurants though. Buildings, staff, utilities, all the "free" classes, training for staff - there are lots of costs that are not always obvious.

Pam
    I wasn't complaining about the profit margin of the dealer. My complaint was that anyone that has looked into buying a 7700 knows the going rate is about $2500. My problem was that they wanted to sell me JUST the machine. There are accessories that come with this machine that at other dealers are included in the $2500.

As for restaurants, you are paying for the convenience of someone else shopping, preparing, serving, and clean up. With the massive amounts of restaurants concentrated in areas, you have a choice as to where you will spend your money. Sewing machine dealers do not even compare to restaurants. I would compare them more to a car dealership but even then, there are many car dealers in a concentrated area.

WOW. My head is still spinning from reading that article. I have a Bernina and I do love it. I drive past the local dealer on my way to the dealer that I purchased it from 30 minutes away. Why? Because my dealer is nice and helpful. When I take my machine into the shop for servicing I've never had to wait more than 2-3 days to get it back. The local dealer - well let's just say a friend of mine had her machine in the shop for over a month because she 'didn't have an appointment' when her machine quit working! I'm all about the service.

Blog Entries
    I am a firm believer that everyone finds a great bargain sometimes and everyone overpays most of the time. The article is very informative and every sewist should realize that machines manufacturers and dealers are as varied and not much different as car makers and dealers.
    Got fabric?

A year before I retired I wanted to buy a good machine and have it paid for, before retirement. That was 3 years ago. I bought a Bernina, 12 months same as cash. Best machine I've ever had. I love it.

Thank you for the article - it was interesting. But that's all it was. You are reading one person's opinions based on what looks like a very narrow survey of people.

Talking about brands of sewing machines is just like talking about cars or refrigerators. So love the brand you have and buy the brand that offers a good dealer and features you want and don't worry about the rest!

Thanks for the link great info!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I had to look to see where you were from. Your story sounds just like my dealer. My next closest Janome dealer is a few hours away and even worse she is best friends with my local one. Whats wjth these store owners.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast