Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   who mazde the rules (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-mazde-rules-t117778.html)

Mariposa 04-23-2011 04:57 PM

It's your quilt, made with love by you. What they think doesn't matter! :)

judy_68 04-23-2011 04:58 PM

Rules? I didn't know there were rules in quilting.

SundarKoyal 04-23-2011 06:23 PM

There is no such thing as the quilt police. Just rude people with exasperating opinions! In fact, I do not even like that term, "quilt police". It implies that they are in charge. They do not get PAID, so therefore they are not the police.

I think that what you did on your quilt, ie, crossing lines when quilting the fish was probably a very cute design. Why worry about what a few silly opinionated women say. Just tell them you did it on purpose. They do not pay your bills so their opinions should not count.

pgaines 04-23-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Tell them you weren't stippling, you were meandering! The difference between the two is that you don't cross the lines when stippling but you do when meandering. Problem solved! :thumbup:

Ok, I am new and I guess confused. I thought the difference between stippling and meandering was the size. Stippling was real small and tight and meandering was just larger? Is there a true definition somewhere?

bigdogmom 04-23-2011 07:26 PM

What a tacky thing for that sourpus to say! Your quilt your way, there are no rules, we need to encourage and enjoy each others work.

lclang 04-23-2011 07:31 PM

There really are NO rules. You can do what you like and enjoy it because there are no REAL quilt police, just some smarty pants who think they have a right to tell others what to do and how to do it. You are the artist, do it YOUR way!

4EVERquilt 04-23-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Katy
MY QUILT. MY WAY. That's it. I had a lqs insult me when I first started and I vowed never to do it to others. I informally teach quilting to two groups of ladies and I try to build up and encourage. The one who treated me bad was out of business about two years later. Life is too short to be bothered by the quilt police.

I agree with you katy, why worry what others say? It's your quilt and whoever you give it to is going to love you for it. They're not going to worry if a line is crossed. That line being crossed isn't going to stop them from being warm. Come on people lighten up!! Make your quilts the way you want.

katigirl 04-23-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
thanks all for the encouragement. whenever i show one of my quilts and someone ohhs or ahhs, she shuts themup and talks about HER quilt. so... i guesss you;'re right, she's jealous.
i didn't mean to make her jealous, but i guess that's the way she is.
thanks all for your enlightening words.

Probably one of the times you wish you could put a cork in her and shut her up. lol.

Annya 04-24-2011 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
that you can't cross over lines when stippling?????
is there really such a rule?
I showed my cat quilt to someone, the only sourpuss in the bunch, who said, "Oh too bad she crossed the lines". well, how else do you quilt a fish????i can't believe that she said that.
Is there really a "NO CROSS" rule to stippling

That is not stippling that is the drunkards path. drunks can't walk in a a straight line. Tell that to your sourpuss, that should fix her little red wagon. I think stippling is any way you want to make it.

lwbuchholz 04-24-2011 03:59 AM

I was just watching 'Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonsteel' and she had an expert longarm quilter on and she said there was no rules about not crossing over your lines. I think I would do what I wished anyway. And if anyone complained I would ignore them.
Lynda