Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   who mazde the rules (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-mazde-rules-t117778.html)

margecam52 04-22-2011 06:43 AM

I've seen/read that "rule"...but, aren't rules made to be broken?
I bet your quilt is just beautiful...and that person is one of those who just "must" have the last word in.
I try not to cross a line, even meandering...but 99% of the time, I end up crossing just a few (ok, many).
It's the same thing with the "You must use 100% cotton to make a quilt, and thread has to be cotton also."
Well, when on a budget & when doing memorial/T-shirt quilts, that rule is gone also.
Now that we have the specialty threads...anything goes. I use all kinds of threads...even serger thread on cones...it's very strong.
No, poly thread will not cut the cotton fabrics...and also, as long as you use the same type of fabric in a pieced quilt (say an Irish chain), you should be just fine with a blend. I use a 60/40 blend a lot...I love the way it quilts up. I don't mix it with 100% cotton....oops! Another of my own rules broken...I do as long as I have prewashed & machine dried the cotton..darn...means No rules for me!

Originally Posted by lynnie
that you can't cross over lines when stippeling?????
is there really such a rule?
i showed my cat quilt to someone, the only sourpuss in the buch, who said, "Oh too bad she crossed the lines". well, how ele do you quilt a fish????i can't believe that she said that.
is there really a "NO CROSS" rule to siplleling

Rose Bagwell 04-22-2011 06:43 AM

You will always find someone who has to be negative, why can't people just say nice things or say nothing at all. I never critic anybodies work, even if I notice a mistake or two. I do quilting as I do my golf for relaxing , I am not a professional golfer or quilter.

Quiltbeagle 04-22-2011 06:44 AM

Your quilt, your rules. To me a snuggly, warm quilt made with love IS perfection!

ButtermilkMama 04-22-2011 06:50 AM

I dislike people who think they "know it all". DO IT

YOUR WAY!!!!

whatever 04-22-2011 07:06 AM

she was jealous at such a great job so she had to say something mean... just the child in us- I practice when someone says something negative about what I made, make up, clothes, hair,etc. there jealous

Parrothead 04-22-2011 07:08 AM

I have never heard of this rule. I am the type of person that wants to know "why" and "since when". I have several vintage quilt books/articles. There are no rules in them. Think of our foremothers quilting way out in their farm houses. How did they learn of the rules? No TV, no computer, not a lot of books (some could not read). Do you think the women quilting in the covered wagons as they traveled West, followed any rules?

Becky Mc 04-22-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
that you can't cross over lines when stippeling?????
is there really such a rule?
i showed my cat quilt to someone, the only sourpuss in the buch, who said, "Oh too bad she crossed the lines". well, how ele do you quilt a fish????i can't believe that she said that.
is there really a "NO CROSS" rule to siplleling

What? Well I am glad that no one told me that I couldn't think out of the box! Life would be very boring!! I agree if you were entering it in a contest it might make a difference but other than that just create away !!!!!

nativetexan 04-22-2011 07:12 AM

hey, you can do loops in FMQ and they go over each other! so there, whom ever!

Pieceful Quilter 04-22-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I follow my rule which is, it's my quilt I will make it how I want.

AMEN!!!

brightstar_202 04-22-2011 08:11 AM

I like what Alabamaon the river wrote "I follow my rule which is, it's my quilt I will make it how I want." I feel the same way she does. If you like it who cares. If it looked nice to you then don't worry about it. I bet it turned out beautiful, and who ever gets it will love it too.