Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who takes classes at Craftsy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-takes-classes-craftsy-t213795.html)

deanneellen 02-14-2013 08:05 AM

Good to know that the results are mostly positive. I bought a gift certificate for two classes and decided to gift it to myself! Haven't decided on which yet but am leaning to some FMQ classes.

BellaBoo 02-14-2013 08:29 AM

I have bought a lot of the quilting classes. I have enjoyed all of them so far. It's great to have the instruction anytime I want it and even at full price it's cheaper then going to a class at a quilt shop or guild.

Mom3 02-14-2013 08:56 AM

I've signed up for a few and so far have not been disappointed. I like the fact that you can go back and review at anytime.

The classes are always available as long as you have internet access. I kind of wish I could download the classes and save on my computer as I don't always have internet access during the summer months.

Tashana 02-14-2013 09:05 AM

I purchased Quilting With Templates with Kin Brunner and I loved it. It is a very good class showing you ins and outs of quilting with rulers, marking your quilts etc. Worth every penny. And yes, i did buy her rulers because i find them exxeptionally helpful and very versatile. Although there are some benefits gor all quikters, this class is the best if you have a LA machine or a DSM on a frame.
I also took 2012 BOM which is great especially considering that it is free. In the beginning, It is not on a professional level as the paid classes, but it does get there. It was good never the less. Great quilt project.
I am taking 2013 BOM and so far I am liking it. The instructor is very good and has many great tips which are new to many and helpful refreshers for others.
I am eyeing Angela Walters courses. I have her book so I am not sure how much overlap (if any) is there. Good luck!

JulieR 02-14-2013 09:23 AM

I've taken several and have loved them all!

JulieR 02-14-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by deanneellen (Post 5860813)
Good to know that the results are mostly positive. I bought a gift certificate for two classes and decided to gift it to myself! Haven't decided on which yet but am leaning to some FMQ classes.

I enjoyed Machine Quilting Negative Space. Even though the instructor is on a long arm, all of the theories and tips she went over were equally applicable to any type of FMQ (I'm using her tips on a regular DSM).

Cybrarian 02-14-2013 10:28 AM

I love my Craftsy quilting classes. I have 3 free ones and 3 purchased ones. I love being able to watch again and again and the 30 second repeat is very handy. I took the plunge on paper piecing with Peggy Martin's Strip Piecing class - it is GREAT, I highly recommend it, and that led me to investigate Carol Doak. Both are awesome. When I first heard about paper piecing I thought "no way, I would never want to do that" had to eat those words! I agree with others, try one of the free classes to get a feel for the format. I love going to "class" without 1] packing up, 2] hurrying to keep up in the class and get all I can from it, and 3] going to class in my jammies at midnight if I feel like it! I love going to face to face classes occasionally too, but for concentrated learning of new techniques I LOVE this online format. By the way, Carol Doak will have a Craftsy class that I believe will be offered starting in March.

hybearn8er 02-14-2013 10:39 AM

I'm taking Kimmy Bruners class and love it.Well worth the money!!

kamaiarigby 02-14-2013 10:50 AM

I have signed up for 3 Craftsy classes, what I like is that you can go back time and time again , it is like having your own personal teacher,
Right there with you. I would absolutely recommend anyone signing up for a class

mimiknoxtaylor 02-14-2013 10:53 AM

I'm enrolled in 4 classes (all free). The BOM's for 2012 (that was an accident as I was trying to sign up for 2013 & had a senior moment) and the BOM for 2013. Also 2 tote making classes. I'm really enjoying them & like others have said the ability to see them anytime & over & over again. I probably watched the Feb.2013 BOM class 4x while making those blocks!
Try a free class & see how you like it.