Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   whoops! Basted a quilt backwards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whoops-basted-quilt-backwards-t25416.html)

allisonirons 09-13-2009 09:43 AM

As I put the last safety pin in my quilt that was taped down to the floor to baste it... I realized that I did it backwards. The quilt top was face down on the floor instead of the quilt back. What was I thinking?? Ahhh.

So should I take all the safety pins out and start completely over? Or should I flip each pin over one by one? Or just go slowly and carefully while I machine quilt it and take the pins out before I get close? I've never done this before! Oops.

RedGarnet222 09-13-2009 09:48 AM

Yes ... Sorry. Unless you want to quilt it from the back.

allisonirons 09-13-2009 09:52 AM

shooot!

RedGarnet222 09-13-2009 09:57 AM

I am so glad other people do such things. I thought I was the only spacy blonde on here ... LOL!

allisonirons 09-13-2009 10:00 AM

haha Red... nope, I definitely do things like that. I even remember thinking... wow, I have no idea where the pins are going in the top... hmm... This is not how I remember this working out.

I even cleared out my whole dining room, moving all the furniture into the living room and kitchen and cleaned and mopped the floor really good and I towel dried the floor and the whole process took me a good 45 minutes to an hour from cleaning to basting... annnnd at the LAST pin, I realized what I had done wrong.

Ninnie 09-13-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by allisonirons
haha Red... nope, I definitely do things like that. I even remember thinking... wow, I have no idea where the pins are going in the top... hmm... This is not how I remember this working out.

I even cleared out my whole dining room, moving all the furniture into the living room and kitchen and cleaned and mopped the floor really good and I towel dried the floor and the whole process took me a good 45 minutes to an hour from cleaning to basting... annnnd at the LAST pin, I realized what I had done wrong.

that's just sad! :( :( I hope you haven't put the furniture back!
You will have to do it all over again. :D

Yvonne 09-13-2009 10:36 AM

I've heard of quilting on the back. Go ahead and give it a try. If you're doing an all over pattern it ought to work just fine.

My sad tale - I'd finished pinning and realized I hadn't lined up the top and the backing and the backing was definitely short on one end of the quilt. My solution - I drove over to starbucks. Bought a very large frappacino. Once I had the caffeine and sugar in my system I unpinned the whole thing and started from the beginning. It happens!

Best of luck however you decide to fix your basting. I do recommend the caffeine fix! :lol:

allisonirons 09-13-2009 10:42 AM

Yvonne - I think the caffeine is the solution ;)

amma 09-13-2009 11:34 AM

Ohhhhh Man!!! I have done things like this too, the best solution is usually to re-do it... so sorry this happened :(

Prism99 09-13-2009 12:29 PM

I'd probably machine-baste from the back using very large stitches before removing the pins and re-pinning from the front. That way I wouldn't have to get down on the floor again. The machine basting would be pretty fast and easy to remove once it was re-pinned.