Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why did I wait so long!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-did-i-wait-so-long-t219768.html)

Jingle 04-23-2013 10:40 AM

I have left mine in past the sharpening life of it. Some blades son't seem to last long at all. Others seem to last forever.

scrappingfaye58 04-23-2013 12:51 PM

yup... the Grace one is the one I have... I LOVE IT!!!

Lori S 04-23-2013 03:01 PM

I am guilty of this as well. Every time I change blades I say the same thing.. "why did I wait so long". I know its partially because it not an overnight thing.. the dullness creeps .. and I forget what I pleasure a new sharp blade is to work with.

yel 04-23-2013 03:59 PM

grace company has a blade sharpener that you just run the blade though ...not even have to take it out of handle ....worth the money at the price of blades ...also your local harbor freight has blades for a carpet cutter [can order on line] that fit the 45 cutter way better price than other places

Txsuthrn 04-23-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6020033)
I always figure if they are still round they must be good - same with tires on a vehicle.

Lol. I love this. I really do think this about tires! Drives my hubby crazy!

Battle Axe 04-24-2013 02:40 AM

I tried the sharpening too and it was worthless. I've talked to others who liked it. Perhaps operator error. Over the weekend I got an Accuquilt Go cutter. Problems solved.

quilttiger 04-24-2013 03:01 AM

I bought the electric TrueSharp Power Rotary Blade Sharpener (Amazon now has a good deal on it with free shipping) and it works. Guess what, though, I have not had to use it a lot because I got this rotary cutting matt at a quilt show as a show special. The Big Mat by Sewingemporium.com has a 5 year warranty and the surface is very smooth. There is actually less wear and tear on the blades. A rough cutting mat such as the one sold by Joann Fabrics (it is white and the surface is not smooth at all) can make rotary blades very dull in no time at all. I learned this the hard way.

citruscountyquilter 04-24-2013 03:21 AM

I'm the same way with needles too.

sherneff44 04-24-2013 03:47 AM

I ave the Grace Sharpener and absolutely love it!

paulswalia 04-24-2013 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere (Post 6021311)
The people who sell the blades must be the ones recommending using a new blade with each project.

When I find it difficult to cut the fabric I change the blade. I also write the date I started using the blade on the blade. That way IF I feel it's getting tough to cut, I can verify how long the blade has been in the device. I'm guessing I switch blades out about every 4-6 weeks.

Nan

I like this idea of writing the start date on the blade but seems I tried it a while ago and couldn't get the date to last - even used a Sharpie marker. What do you use?