Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why did I wait so long!!

Why did I wait so long!!

Been struggling to cut fabric all the way through. I finally changed the blade, what a difference! I hope I'm not the only one that does that!
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    i tend to wait too long as well. what a difference when a new one is used!!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I've got one that won't even cut paper.
    Nikki in MO

I always figure if they are still round they must be good - same with tires on a vehicle.

I save my old blades to cut Christmas & birthday wrap. Works great and I just have a hard time giving up on the blade yet. Maybe it is too dull to cut fabric but still plenty of life for paper.

Blog Entries
    Somewhere on the internet, I saw a cutting system with ruler having a metal edge that supposedly sharpens the rotary cutting blade as you use it. Didn't bookmark the site, and I don't remember the brand name. I imagine it's terribly expensive, and I don't know if it really works. Would be nice, though.
    Mavis

You are not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    Somewhere on the internet, I saw a cutting system with ruler having a metal edge that supposedly sharpens the rotary cutting blade as you use it. Didn't bookmark the site, and I don't remember the brand name. I imagine it's terribly expensive, and I don't know if it really works. Would be nice, though.
    I thought about getting this ruler but am thinking that it might leave tiny metal filings on my fabric. There is some kind of sharpener available for rotary cutters but I don't have it. I also leave my blades on too long.

Blog Entries
    Yep, you are not alone. When I realize that I'm pressing harder and harder on my rotary cutter, then I know it's past time to change the blade!

Blog Entries
    No I think we all wait to long. Friend says I should change for every new project. As I have 3 on the go do I need 3rotary cutters. Nooooo wait until it drives me mad cutting where it misses.
    Has anyone used those sharpening tools? Are they any good.? ?.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I certainly can relate to this posting. i also wait too long, sometimes way too long.

I have the long sharpener (cannot remember who makes it, and too lazy to get off my caboose and go look... will try to remember to look tonight when I get home from work) but it is FABULOUS!!! It reminds me of the hole punch that you would put in your 3 ring binder to make holes in paper. You put the blade (still on the handle!!!) in the slot and run it back and forth a few times (usually I do it about 10) and VOILA!!! I sharpened every blade in my "used blades" container, and was SHOCKED... worth the money (It was about $20 -- I asked hubby for it for my birthday!!!)

I was going to change the blade last night, and for some reason I decided to turn the cutting mat over first. Mat is feeling dry, and I can't remember how old it is. I picked up one of the rotary cutters, and cut a scrap to see if it was the one that needed the new blade. I didn't need to change any blades. Now I'm wondering if the blades were getting bogged down in the grooves of the mat?
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I tend to wait to. I guess I reason is the cost, and the main reason is I think it's got a little life left in 'er.
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    You can also check your cutting mat. A few yrs ago I got the fold out cutting table from Joanns and the also bought the matt that fit it. I had a rotary cutter that was fairly new and I saw it being used at the show but it wouldn't cut anything. I don't remember what made me pull out a small matt to cut on, but that same blade that wouldn't cut all of a sudden was cutting. The matt I don't think is self healing so only after a few times cutting on it, it wouldn't let any of my rotary cutters cut on it. I now have a smaller mat on top of it. What a difference.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    Walmart sells the Cutting Edge ruler online:http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?
    search_query=Sullivans+ruler&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

The secret of keeping a sharp blade is to sharpen a sharp blade. I use the Grace TrueCut sharpener (http://www.walmart.com/ip/17337898?w...l5=pla&veh=sem before using the cutter and my blade will stay sharp almost forever unless I get a nick. It's easy to use, just run your cutter through it several times, like a knife strap for a knife. I date my blade when I change it and the one in it now is dated 3/11. No kidding!
    Got fabric?

Banned
    I am so guilty!

They recommend a new one each time you start a new quilt but who can afford that. So we all probably wait too long.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    My husband gave me a blade sharpener for Christmas and it was completely worthless, so I returned it. It was the kind where you put the blade on a spindle and spin the sharpening pin around in a circle. I tested it on a blade that had been used for 2-3 weeks, so it was in good shape. After I "sharpened" it, it wouldn't cut bread.

Blog Entries
    The people who sell the blades must be the ones recommending using a new blade with each project.

When I find it difficult to cut the fabric I change the blade. I also write the date I started using the blade on the blade. That way IF I feel it's getting tough to cut, I can verify how long the blade has been in the device. I'm guessing I switch blades out about every 4-6 weeks.

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I have left mine in past the sharpening life of it. Some blades son't seem to last long at all. Others seem to last forever.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

yup... the Grace one is the one I have... I LOVE IT!!!

I am guilty of this as well. Every time I change blades I say the same thing.. "why did I wait so long". I know its partially because it not an overnight thing.. the dullness creeps .. and I forget what I pleasure a new sharp blade is to work with.

yel
    Blog Entries
    grace company has a blade sharpener that you just run the blade though ...not even have to take it out of handle ....worth the money at the price of blades ...also your local harbor freight has blades for a carpet cutter [can order on line] that fit the 45 cutter way better price than other places

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I always figure if they are still round they must be good - same with tires on a vehicle.
    Lol. I love this. I really do think this about tires! Drives my hubby crazy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast