Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I wait so long!! >

Why did I wait so long!!

Why did I wait so long!!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM

I thought it was my blade but have found out also that my cutting mat is gouged up. I used my cutter on a self-healing mat and boy what a difference. When I can afford it I'm getting a new mat for my cutting table. Found a company that will cut to fit with and without marking. Think someone on this list gave us the website too. I need a 4 x 7' cutting mat so that's the reason why I need to wait. Plus they will send the cutoff section to you so you can make them into ones you can put next to your sewing machine. Works for me............:-D

Suz in Iowa
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM

My son gave me idea years ago when I had a business make hair accessories. He sharpened my sewing machine needles with a knife sharpening stone, it worked like a dream. I don't know why it wouldn't work on the rotary cutters, even if it's not perfect, it will lengthen the life of the blades, they are expensive.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Ditto. Blades are expensive and maybe we wait so long because of the expense? Here's a tip I try to remember with every cut: Among the various costs of quilting...fabric, thread, sewing machine, batting, time, quilting (if you send it out), the least expensive is the $2 or $3 for a rotary blade. For the sake of even seam allowances, wear and tear on our arms, we should change our blades as often as needed!!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Try using a knife sharpening stone, hold the blade at an angle and swipe across the stone, (being super careful where you put your fingers. I sharpen my needles and rotary blades this way.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Been there, done that, trying to save a little money doesn't always result in a savings - new blades - what a difference.