Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do cats love our quilts??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-cats-love-our-quilts-t138968.html)

jpthequilter 07-21-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Why do you suppose it is that cats love to lay on quilts?
My kitty could have a blanket in a basket to lay in right beside me but..if the quilt was anywhere where she could get to it..that is where she would lay. If I am doing regular sewing like clothing or crafting she was happy to lay in her basket and not have any desire to get near the item.
I am also wondering if dogs do the same thing for others out there. My dog could care less if I am sewing a quilt or a dog bone...

Cats love clean and new, and soft and cushy!
Try sprinkling a few flakes of catnip in her bed....
That will tend to keep her likeing to be in it.

NANAOF2BOYS 07-21-2011 11:48 AM

for cats they can get closer to you ,it has your smell and feels soft like a nest ...my dog could care less just lays on the floor near me so she can watch my every move

DRB 07-21-2011 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dog likes to lay on whatever I am working on also.

Jack trying out the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229805[/ATTACH]

TonnieLoree 07-21-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Impeccible taste?

Yes, that's it! ;)

llcathey 07-21-2011 12:26 PM

I made flannel (small) quilts for them so when Im sewing they won't try to lay on the fabric, sometimes it works depends on there mood

BarbaraSue 07-21-2011 01:35 PM

If I lay the quilt sandwich out to baste it, and the large sizes go on the floor--the dog makes a mad dash to get on it first before the cat! It's like two kids elling "dibbs".

A quilt is their favorite over anything else. I think that it is really the fact that we have handled the fabric alot so our scent is deeply in it for them. I think they feel comfort in the scent and the feel of the fabric.

hmross 07-21-2011 03:20 PM

My cat loves to get to the quilt when it is hanging off the table and she can lay on a portion of it or she will play with it making it harder for me to work on the quilt.

thrums 07-21-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Why do you suppose it is that cats love to lay on quilts?
My kitty could have a blanket in a basket to lay in right beside me but..if the quilt was anywhere where she could get to it..that is where she would lay. If I am doing regular sewing like clothing or crafting she was happy to lay in her basket and not have any desire to get near the item.
I am also wondering if dogs do the same thing for others out there. My dog could care less if I am sewing a quilt or a dog bone...

My cat loves to lay on the mouse pad when I'm at the computer. She tried the keyboard but it was too lumpy. :lol:

misscarol 07-21-2011 05:49 PM

My lab, Gus, loves quilts :)

winter012 07-21-2011 06:24 PM

My cats have to check out every single piece of fabric I bring into the house!!! And if it gets left on a horizontal surface, they get slept on!!!! But the pieces they love best are the ones intended for quilts........
My dogs love the quilts once they are put together & are on a bed. Then they snuggle into the quilt & make great foot warmers!!!!!!!