Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-i-end-up-more-fabric-squares-triangles-blocks-than-i-need-t228095.html)

nhweaver 08-16-2013 01:04 PM

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

When I am buying fabric for a quilt, I am always buying much more than I need. I am always worried that I will "not have enough". I cut more pieces than I need, "just in case I ruin some". I put together more blocks than I need, "just in case one turns out too wonky. I cannot be the only one out there with lots of orphan blocks left over, lots of little pieces, lots of fabric. Is this another "hoarding" that is lurking behind "the master of fabric hoarding???"

tessagin 08-16-2013 01:10 PM

Sounds to me like you have a scrappy sampler going on. You're no different than some of the rest of us.

Quilter 65 08-16-2013 01:18 PM

Better a little more than trying to find one more piece to finish out a triangle. Ask me how I know!!

stitchingcrazy 08-16-2013 01:23 PM

I am the same. I think a scrappy quilt is a good solution for using orphaned blocks together with patches and things that are left over. A bit like cooking. It gives us a chance to be experience creative freedom! I have been thankful for my over indulgence recently due the prices of fat quarters these days. My stash has been a good resource. Don't worry about it whatever you do. It will all be useful in the long term.

Jingle 08-16-2013 01:44 PM

Sounds like me. There seems to be scrappy quilts in your future. I buy extra fabrics and large quantities on purpose. If I want to make a quilt I don't want to shop for it. I try to keep a large variety at all times.

DebraK 08-16-2013 02:31 PM

This doesn't really sound like a problem to me ;-)

Tartan 08-16-2013 03:17 PM

I always over buy because there is nothing worse then having to settle on another fabric to finish up a project. My leftover scraps go into my scrap box and yardage into my stash.

Lori S 08-16-2013 03:20 PM

All it took was once to not have enough fabric to finish a project as intended, I now always purchase more than needed. I think that's why I find scrap quilts so liberating.. there are always plenty of scraps.. no stress about having "enough".

MaryStoaks 08-16-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 6237788)
When I am buying fabric for a quilt, I am always buying much more than I need. I am always worried that I will "not have enough". I cut more pieces than I need, "just in case I ruin some". I put together more blocks than I need, "just in case one turns out too wonky. I cannot be the only one out there with lots of orphan blocks left over, lots of little pieces, lots of fabric. Is this another "hoarding" that is lurking behind "the master of fabric hoarding???"

I do the same thing! My last quilt I made 9 extra blocks.

CookyIN 08-16-2013 03:53 PM

If you don't want to use your orphan blocks or scraps yourself, why not donate them to a local charity or rummage sale? Someone out there would love to have them, and you'd be helping a worthy cause. It's a guilt-free way to de-stash.

I agree with everyone who said, better to have fabric left over than running out and trying to get more!