Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

Blog Entries

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

When I am buying fabric for a quilt, I am always buying much more than I need. I am always worried that I will "not have enough". I cut more pieces than I need, "just in case I ruin some". I put together more blocks than I need, "just in case one turns out too wonky. I cannot be the only one out there with lots of orphan blocks left over, lots of little pieces, lots of fabric. Is this another "hoarding" that is lurking behind "the master of fabric hoarding???"
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me like you have a scrappy sampler going on. You're no different than some of the rest of us.

Better a little more than trying to find one more piece to finish out a triangle. Ask me how I know!!

I am the same. I think a scrappy quilt is a good solution for using orphaned blocks together with patches and things that are left over. A bit like cooking. It gives us a chance to be experience creative freedom! I have been thankful for my over indulgence recently due the prices of fat quarters these days. My stash has been a good resource. Don't worry about it whatever you do. It will all be useful in the long term.

Sounds like me. There seems to be scrappy quilts in your future. I buy extra fabrics and large quantities on purpose. If I want to make a quilt I don't want to shop for it. I try to keep a large variety at all times.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

This doesn't really sound like a problem to me ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    I always over buy because there is nothing worse then having to settle on another fabric to finish up a project. My leftover scraps go into my scrap box and yardage into my stash.

All it took was once to not have enough fabric to finish a project as intended, I now always purchase more than needed. I think that's why I find scrap quilts so liberating.. there are always plenty of scraps.. no stress about having "enough".

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    When I am buying fabric for a quilt, I am always buying much more than I need. I am always worried that I will "not have enough". I cut more pieces than I need, "just in case I ruin some". I put together more blocks than I need, "just in case one turns out too wonky. I cannot be the only one out there with lots of orphan blocks left over, lots of little pieces, lots of fabric. Is this another "hoarding" that is lurking behind "the master of fabric hoarding???"
    I do the same thing! My last quilt I made 9 extra blocks.
    Mary

If you don't want to use your orphan blocks or scraps yourself, why not donate them to a local charity or rummage sale? Someone out there would love to have them, and you'd be helping a worthy cause. It's a guilt-free way to de-stash.

I agree with everyone who said, better to have fabric left over than running out and trying to get more!

use the extra blocks or fabric as part of the backing. Or, as others have suggested, do a scrappy quilt or two or three...or ten!

Add extra blocks to the backing fabric, or turn it in to the quilt label?

I like the backing idea. I've been seeing that more and more, but mostly on the modern look. But I could use it for the label. Oh, don't worry about the leftovers, they will be used in time.

I know exactly what you are talking about because I do the same thing. First I worry I will cut the fabric wrong, need additional fabric and not be able to find more. Then after I have completed the quilt, I hesitate to use my scraps because I'm afraid the quilt will get damaged and I will be unable to find matching fabric to repair it. I know the "hoarding master" lives at my house but, I was not aware that one of his favorite spots was my scrap box .
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I also always end up with project "left overs" but I'd much rather that than not having enough.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I use my extra blocks and pieces for the back of the quilt I'm working on. It's a nice way to tie the front and back together.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

I to buy extra just in case. Nothing worse that not enough and then not being able to get the fabric. I just use the left over in other projects.

I'm with you I have a lot of orphan squares laying in boxes. One of these days I'll make a scrappy out of them. Should make for an interesting quilt.
    Aronel aka Lee

I use extra blocks on the back, or add to my pile of blocks for a sampler quilt~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I change my mind too much while putting a quilt top together. That's why I have so many extra blocks after a project. I've been putting them in pieced backings lately, but I have a bunch of heavily embroidered squares that I have no idea what to do with. Their colors don't coordinate enough to put them together in a top and I don't want to quilt over them on the backings, so for now, they'll just sit in my "what should I do with this" drawer.

I think we all do this in the search of perfection
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    I confess. I used to do the same thing. No more. For me, if no one else, it is hoarding. Seriously, will I ever use up those scraps? Probably not. Out they go! Well, most of them
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I learned my lesson decades ago when I didn't buy enough of one color for a mystery quilt. Would have but since I usually want to put my own spin on a project, I ran out of an important color. Had to introduce another color and the project became the quilt from Hell. When finished it was really awsome, but full of design anxiety moments. I now buy at least 1/2 yard more of each color called for.

I too, thought I had made too many blocks for my daughter's QOV, but she just told me she had purchased a king size bed. of course I had made her a queen size. Now I have to figure out a second or third border to make it fit. So I think I'll keep on buying extra, since I do not have enough of the background fabric to finish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post

These then make wall hangings, mug rugs, potholders etc. Win win
    Debbie
    Machine It

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast