Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people make quilts with flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-make-quilts-flannel-t263774.html)

katesnanna 04-10-2015 05:36 PM

Here in Australia we have Flannel & Flannelette. Two different qualities. Flannelette is what you describe and good for PJ's and baby clothes, but Flannel is good thick quality fabric. I remember asking when I first started quilting, "What's the difference between flannel and flannelette" to be told about $28.oo per metre.

sewbizgirl 04-10-2015 07:20 PM

I haven't heard the term "flannelette" in about three decades! What I used to know as flannelette was actually a light flocked nylon, not cotton at all. They made nightgowns out of it, which stuck to your legs with static electricity.

Originally Posted by katesnanna (Post 7160699)
Here in Australia we have Flannel & Flannelette. Two different qualities. Flannelette is what you describe and good for PJ's and baby clothes, but Flannel is good thick quality fabric. I remember asking when I first started quilting, "What's the difference between flannel and flannelette" to be told about $28.oo per metre.

shadoh 04-10-2015 07:40 PM

In canada we have the same as Australia...flanelette, which is thinner and cheaper (8$ a metre). And flannel which is 16$ for a meter(39")..

patchsamkim 04-11-2015 06:59 AM

I have always loved my flannel quilts for snuggling under while watching television. Better quality flannel doesn't pill.

Weenween 04-13-2015 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7158428)
I know flannel is soft and cozy and I use it for jammie pants, but quilts? It pills, it is a lint magnet in the wash, and it's more loosely woven than quilters cottons, which means it will wear out faster. Just wondering what the appeal is, especially when cotton quilts are already cuddly and cozy.

Some time it peels because it of not being of good weight to me anyway. I like the softness of it also.

omaluvs2quilt 04-13-2015 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fiunny, I'm all about traditional quilting with batting & cotton both sides, and I used to really dislike "rag quilts", but lately I took a tangent and have made a bunch of rag quilts. Easy to make quick gifts, snuggly, and cute as heck. I'm ready to get back to my normal quilting, but I sure have had fun making some of the raggies :) especially for little girls doll beds, soooo cute!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516764[/ATTACH]

Zyngawf 04-13-2015 09:26 AM

I will make nothing out of flannel ever again. I made myself a really cute flannel shirt that stupidly ended up in a load with towels. Icky pilly can't be worn again and all that work gone.

Becky's Crafts 04-13-2015 01:59 PM

Flannel on the back of a quilt keeps it from slipping off the sheets during the night as much.

justflyingin 10-09-2016 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7158531)
Some of us live in the North country and need a extra warm quilt......:D:D

You laugh...but it's true!

Sandygirl 03-11-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sally J (Post 7159049)
I use good flannel all the time. I certainly pre-wash. My warmest quilt is flannel both front and back with fleece as the batting. It's really warm and gets better as I wash. I was concerned before I did my first flannel quilt and now I done't want to use anything else for at least the backings.

what brands of flannel do you like?

sandy