Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people make quilts with flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-make-quilts-flannel-t263774.html)

jokir44 03-11-2017 09:59 AM

I used to work in my LQS and did a shrinkage test on our flannels. I tested 5 and only one shrank, less than 1/4 inch in a yard cut. That was cold water wash and warm dryer. Maywood is the only brand I can remember right now. Yes you pay a hefty price but you have a good heavy fabric that is well worth it.

dorismae904 03-11-2017 10:18 AM

when first doing charity quilts, I used yard sale sheets for the backs, some of which were flannel. The flannel came out so nice, I started looking for them and even bought flat king size ones when they were on sale at Boscov's for $5. Sadly they haven't had them for awhile. I do wish manufacturers would make the flannel in wider rolls.

Bjbaxter 03-11-2017 11:44 AM

I have purchased flannel backing that ranges anywhere from 90" to 108".

Originally Posted by dorismae904 (Post 7782154)
when first doing charity quilts, I used yard sale sheets for the backs, some of which were flannel. The flannel came out so nice, I started looking for them and even bought flat king size ones when they were on sale at Boscov's for $5. Sadly they haven't had them for awhile. I do wish manufacturers would make the flannel in wider rolls.

meyert 03-11-2017 12:14 PM

flannel is much more cuddly and warmer....... and if you buy the good flannel it doesn't pill

Austinite 03-13-2017 07:58 PM

When I first started making blankets and quilts I used the JAF snuggle flannel cause I could get it very cheaply on sale, the potential cost of messing up was much less so I had less newbie anxiety plus it wears fine for me, minor pilling on some but my kids don't care and neither does the toddler niece who drags it all over the floor and outside to the sandbox. They have fun prints too. I do watch the quality, some patterns are practically see-through and I avoid those. It's no longer my main fabric but it still has it's place.

Weezy Rider 03-14-2017 05:23 AM

Won't touch it for most things. It snags on fingers and just plain feels nasty. I will use it for stuffing a raggy. Sandwiched in between good cotton and good muslin.

Claire123 03-14-2017 07:55 PM

I think they may want to give a flannel quilt as a gift to someone they genuinely think will love it, possibly an adult son or husband.

madamekelly 03-15-2017 02:46 PM

When I make a quilt for use in a cold climate, I do back them with flannel sheets that I buy inexpensively at second hand stores and garage sales. I have even dyed one to color match a quilt when I could find nothing else suitable in color. I get a text every winter to let me know he still loves it (especially now that he lives on the North Pacific Ocean).

DonnaPBradshaw 03-15-2017 06:16 PM

I've stated to use minky for my backs! more money but comfy and soft!

kellyer21 03-15-2017 07:31 PM

I agree with the original poster. I made a flannel rash quilt, which I love, but I don't think it washed or wears as well as regular cotton. In fact, I find it frustrating that I buy flannel that feels nice, and after it is washed it's awful, it fades, and it pills like crazy. I made my granddaughter two night gowns that looked wonderful before they were washed, then they looked terrible. :(