Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

Debbie B 01-18-2013 05:19 PM

I have a little Brother (has some fancy stitches, but isn't an embroidery machine) that I use for piecing & sewing. A Juki TL98Q on a frame for quilting. A 1953 Singer 15-127 that I bought just because it was so pretty & light green. And my mother in-law's Singer treadle that doesn't work.

mighty 01-18-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 5796005)
Just cause I love the machines. I like collecting them, some I sew with, some I just have! LOL!

Ditto!!! I love sewing machines!!!

snow 01-18-2013 05:20 PM

I have 3 machines and 1 serger. I have a Brother innov1200-Vicking Mega quilter- FW221- and a 1975 Kenmore I bough 37 yrs ago- and a brother 1034d serger. Why? I don't know just do. LOl

earthwalker 01-18-2013 05:30 PM

I have 3. One a 1950's Pinnock purchased for around 20 years ago at auction. It was my first sewing machine. Originally just used for general sewing/curtaining etc. Very handy when we bought our first tiny run-down home, which we renovated on a very tight budget. The second is an 80's Singer I bought it new for general sewing (I only ever EPP in the beginning). Wanted something a bit easier to move around than the Pinnock as the kitchen table was my workspace then. The Pinnock was given to Mum....who years later gave it back, when I started quilting seriously. The third is an early Singer Treadle....my most recent purchase. I intend to renovate it and use it for quilting....why?....because I love vintage. My everyday quilting/always set up ready to go...is the 50's Pinnock. I may part with the 80's Singer...but it's handy to have a spare for back-up/emergencies.

Will I gather more? Well....very tempting...but I'm trying to reduce the clutter here and downsize somewhat. But if I see something "special" well....don't think I'd hesitate too much.

BellaBoo 01-18-2013 05:38 PM

What is your reason for just one machine?
All quilters need a back up machine. I won't tote my heavy Bernina machine to class or workshops so I have a portable Janome machine for that. I have a Featherweight because it's awesome and sews great and I wanted one I could leave for my granddaughter. I have a Singer 301 because it's great for fmqing small quilts. I have a Brother 1500 because I won it. I have a Singer Quantum I bought before I started quilting for the decorative stitches for clothes. I have a Singer 15-90 in wood cabinet because it's perfect for paper piecing. I use them all.

Dolphyngyrl 01-18-2013 05:44 PM

mostly for classes and travel is my little one, but also as back up when my baby is getting her yearly cleaning which can take 2 weeks so if I need to finish a project I still can

germanquilter 01-18-2013 05:47 PM

I have 5 sewing machines and one serger. My first sewing machine is a 25 year old Singer; kept it for what I consider "dirty work" like sew canvas for our boat or anything heavy duty like that. I got a Bernina 153 QE in 2000 since the Singer would not do any FMQ. Next came my little Janome Platinum 760 around 2009 so I have a machine to take to classes/retreats etc. Last year I bought a Janome 6600P at the Lancaster Quilt Show so now I have two machines (Janome and Bernina) set up in my sewing room at all times. I usually piece on one and use the other for FMQ or paper piecing projects that take longer to do. My fifth machine is a vintage 1942 Singer I bought at an antique shop in PA for just $50. It comes with a wooden dome lid and all its original accessories/ booklet etc. It works like a charm but it is mostly a display piece. I always tell myself that since it took 25 years total in gathering all these machines, it does not sound so bad that there are 5 of them :)

cjr 01-18-2013 05:58 PM

I have several, I've sewn all my life so machines very important. Right now 4 machines are used regularly. I've had machine problems while trying to complete a project by certain date. Sooo.. it's very convient to have at least 1 backup.

I sew PIece, small quilted pieces on my workhorse a Singer 778 that I purchased in 1976. have not regretted it.
I inherited my Mom's late 1950 Singer 301. which I quilt my larger quilts on.(It sat in my son's basement for several years till we could rescue it.) She purchased it second hand.

I purchased a Janome 3138 just to take to class as above machines weigh a ton. I really wanted a FW which was my next purchase on E-Bay. At the same time I bid on a Singer 66. Won both. FW & 3138 alternate going to class with me.

My DH has learned how to service vintage machines. so one of these days he will work on the 66 so I can use it to quilt large quilts and give Mom's machine a rest.

Last Fall I stopped at an estate sale, saW a filthy cabinet with a black machine in it. Very pretty cabinet & dirty macghine caME HOME WITH ME FOR JUST $20.00. That machine is a 27 treadle factory authorized electric conversion. Still need DH tinkering.

My prize machine in my mind is an 1830 White treadle That I purchased for $3.00 45 years ago. One day it will also get working.

I also inherited one of my grandmother's Reliable machine, don't know year or model, but she died over 60 yrs ago. Some day it will work also.

I have 4 Grand daughters who will each inherit one of my vintage machines, hopefully in working order.

sew4nin 01-18-2013 06:14 PM

My mother bought me a used Singer 401A as a wedding gift (27 years ago). A couple years after that I got my first serger, a 3 thread Pfaff. That serger broke down while I was sewing the nursery for my 3rd child. While I had it in for repair, I found an updated computerized serger. I brought the used computerized model home when I picked my old mechanical serger up. My husband bought me a Pfaff 7570 new. I love it, but continue to use my old Singer, too. About 4 years ago a good friend gave me her Juki 98 with a Grace frame when she upgraded to a much better system. Last year I rescued my mother's old Singer 66-16 from the house she grew up in that was damaged by a tornado. I now have 6 machines that I use enough to have threaded and out (covered, of course). So that is my very justified story on why I have and use so many machines:D

ontheriver 01-18-2013 06:23 PM

I have a singer 401 I use for all piecing, mega quilter on frame for quilting, brother for fancy stitches and quilting small things I don't put on frame, a singer 201 i keep set up with ruffle attachment as i make dgd's clothes and little girls like ruffles, and 4 other vintage singers just cause I love them, one is a beautiful red eye and one is a 96 yo treadle, still works great.