Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do you think quilting is so popular now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-think-quilting-so-popular-now-t195185.html)

AZ Jane 07-20-2012 07:35 AM

I have re-connected with many family members I had lost contact with. Which brought back memories I had also lost track with. One of the biggies was sleeping on the floor, with a passel of cousins wrapped in grandma's quilts. That's what I want to preserve!!

crafty pat 07-20-2012 09:04 AM

I remember those quilts in Family Circle. I made one that I have kept for myself and just love it.

M.I.Late 07-20-2012 09:38 AM

I think the art of quilting will ebb and flow just like everything else does. I'm just happy to be one of those baby boomers that caught the bug. We are so blessed to have great fabrics, creative pattern makers and the internet to expand our skills. What a great time to be part of this craft!

Jan in VA 07-20-2012 01:10 PM

1. Women are creative by nature.
2. Quilters are immediate friends.
3. The art is visual AND tactile, who doesn't love touching colorful, soft, comfy stuff!
which brings me to #4:
4. The fabrics are treated with addicting chemicals that virtually all women are quite sensitive to.

(I'm kidding!!)

Jan in VA

Grandma Peg 07-20-2012 01:39 PM

I took lessons after my family grew up when I knew there would be more time to sew.

Rubesgirl 07-20-2012 03:42 PM

I love the creative outlet quilting provides, the wide color and fabric choices available, the comraderie of the group I quilt with and the mentality of the quilters on QB and the women in my LQS. Someone has a sense of humor, a smart remark or a story that makes me smile every day. I have never known such a cohesive group, even though we are so diverse. So much information is shared among us and someone always has an answer to any question; there is little competitiveness and it is relaxing. The peace of sitting at the sewing machine and creating something uniquely my own is its own reward!

rushdoggie 07-20-2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by seazteddy (Post 5379163)
I got the pattern from Family Circle or good housekeeping, how to make a quilt in a weekend.

I have that exact same article...its part of what got me started quilting!

Latrinka 07-20-2012 04:21 PM

Because there's just sooo many beautiful fabrics out there! Gotta do sumpin wit em!

misskira 07-20-2012 04:27 PM

The Internet has really helped make DIY possible. It's not only quilting but knitting, sewing, beading, scrapbooking, crocheting, etc. Social networking means we see things friends do, decide we want to do it to, find a you tube video with instructions, then buy the materials from an online retailer. It's a combo of easy access to ideas and knowledge and not having to rely on local shops for supplies I think.

Quilting Dreamer 07-20-2012 04:30 PM

So true Ms. Pat 625 We quilters are a great bunch of people, it is amazing how we learn from each other.

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, Mi

Will be at our Daughters home in Lakeland for Christmas not sure how long (maybe a month or two).