Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you think quilting is so popular now?

Why do you think quilting is so popular now?

I remember taking a quilt class in the 70's and made a sampler wall hanging, which I still have on my wall in my sewing room, but I didn't follow up til 2000 and made a quilt for my sister which was ghastly. I got the pattern from Family Circle or good housekeeping, how to make a quilt in a weekend. I thought they were beautiful but I could never do that. Then I found a group of quilters and I was hooked. I now have so many quilts that I donate most of my quilts, if I can part with them.

Blog Entries
    I think all of the free videos and instructions and this board has really helped! I would not be quilting if not for all three. I just wish it was not so expensive for the materials. Sad its cheaper to buy a premade one vs making a new one.

I'm just guessing but maybe it's because there are so many baby boomers out there who have retired and quilting is such a great hobby. Sure a lot of young people quilt too but when I go to quilt shows most of the folks there are older and they are the ones with the time and money. I am nearing retirement and fairly new to quilting but I am so glad I found such a great hobby. I used to worry what I would do once I retired but now I can see myself happily quilting with no interruptions like going to work! For now I just quilt when I can and am grateful for all the great advice and support I get on this board.

I think you answered your question..When you met a group of quilters!! I don't think it has grown for any other reason than the people who are involved are the greatest bunch of people I have ever met. It was the friendliness and helpfulness of a quilter that kept me interested long enough to get hooked. Even people we meet with virtually on this board are wonderful and make the hobby so much more inviting.

I think it's because of all the resources we have available on the internet. This board is a wonderful example of help that is available without ever leaving home! Quilting groups and guilds seem to be on the rise because women are wanting to have more "girlfriend" time with other quilters.

I"ve always done something in my free time. In my younger days, it was counted cross-stitch and for the last 15 yrs, it's been quilting. It is wonderful therapy! I'm currently working on a quilt for a friend that was made w/ Walmart fabrics - and it's cute!! So, people can use the cheaper fabrics. It does take a different eye to put fabrics together because those fabrics aren't put together like collections you find in quilt stores.

And yes, being older, I do have more disposable money for my habit.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I remember saying to my dentist back 5 or 6 years ago that I had taken up quilting and his response was that the craft was so outdated. I was quite surprised and thought was this something I was getting in on the tail end and would not continue. But it's like every year the craft has grown and I think the popularity is due to the fabric choices we have today. When I first started I thought I had to use those tiny little prints and colors that were muted. Today those have almost been eradicated from my stash. We have a plethora of styles, colors, and quilt patterns that appeal to almost every person - quilter or not. And yes I very much agree that Utube, Internet, and many other social medias have been a tremendous boost to quilting.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Maybe because it can be so personally satisfying. Also, such a myriad of choices for fabrics, books, thread, machines, notions. No matter where you live, if you have a computer, there isn't anything that isn't available to you in the form of product sourcing, teaching, friendship of like minded quilters, etc. It's a wonderful time to be a quilter. To paraphrase "we all need to believe in something....believe I'll buy some more fabric".

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I remember saying to my dentist back 5 or 6 years ago that I had taken up quilting and his response was that the craft was so outdated. I was quite surprised and thought was this something I was getting in on the tail end and would not continue. But it's like every year the craft has grown and I think the popularity is due to the fabric choices we have today. When I first started I thought I had to use those tiny little prints and colors that were muted. Today those have almost been eradicated from my stash. We have a plethora of styles, colors, and quilt patterns that appeal to almost every person - quilter or not. And yes I very much agree that Utube, Internet, and many other social medias have been a tremendous boost to quilting.
    I think I would have told him if someone didn't keep up with the "outdated" stuff the younger generation would be completely lost to any meaningful activities and history. Then I'd find a new dentist.

I have been sewing since I was a preteen. The great part about quilting compared to garmet sewing etc. is that there is no fitting involved. I have done my share of garmet sewing over the years. The most recent big project I did in that regard was the dresses for the two flower girls and the junior bridesmaid in my daughter's wedding. I also have made plenty of curtins etc. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month. Quilting allows me to enjoy choosing fabrics and working with them without the pressure of what it will look like on a person's body. The Linus quilts allow me to work with childish prints that my grandchildren have long outgrown. I don't personally need another quilt in my home so making them for others allows me to pursue my hobby.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

I think quilting meets people's needs and desires on so many levels. The need to be creative-so many varied ways with quilting, the desire to give gifts that are very personal both for the giver and receiver, the practicality and usability of what we make, and the ability to help others and provide comfort and physical needs with what we make. With the tools and resources available each person's abilities and tastes are easily met and there is a broad spectrum of affordability for everyone. In short there's something for everybody's interests, desires and wallets! Can't say that about most creative options.
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarberry View Post
    I'm just guessing but maybe it's because there are so many baby boomers out there who have retired and quilting is such a great hobby. Sure a lot of young people quilt too but when I go to quilt shows most of the folks there are older and they are the ones with the time and money. I am nearing retirement and fairly new to quilting but I am so glad I found such a great hobby. I used to worry what I would do once I retired but now I can see myself happily quilting with no interruptions like going to work! For now I just quilt when I can and am grateful for all the great advice and support I get on this board.
    DITTO! Same feelings ever day -working for retirement and more time to quilt.

I have always loved fabrics even when I was a child and watched my Mother sew. She didn't make quilts but I loved watching her "create". None of my friends quilt but all own a quilt or two. I just have always loved color and the texture of fabrics.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I agree with mpspeedy, in that there is no fitting to be done in quilting as there is in garment sewing, and that is a plus for sure. I once read that when the economy is bad, home crafting picks up. I don't know if that is true, but it kind of makes sense in a way, because if you have that creative gene, you might be inclined to use it during hard times, as a release, whether it is personal burdens or something broader you are dealing with. I knew a woman who had never made a quilt until she lost her 17 year old son. A friend introduced her to quilting hoping it would help her through her grief. She started making quilts, one after the other, and made them for many years until her death at age 90. She always said quilting saved her life. Her friends would bring her pretty fabric to keep her busy, knowing how much her quilting helped her.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
    I have been sewing since I was a preteen. The great part about quilting compared to garmet sewing etc. is that there is no fitting involved. I have done my share of garmet sewing over the years. The most recent big project I did in that regard was the dresses for the two flower girls and the junior bridesmaid in my daughter's wedding. I also have made plenty of curtins etc. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month. Quilting allows me to enjoy choosing fabrics and working with them without the pressure of what it will look like on a person's body. The Linus quilts allow me to work with childish prints that my grandchildren have long outgrown. I don't personally need another quilt in my home so making them for others allows me to pursue my hobby.
    Except for the fact I started sewing as a child this sounds exactly like me :-) including the bridesmaid/ joinior bridesmaid dresses

Everything changed with the invention of the rotary cutter. Prior there were no dedicated quilt shops, or specalized machines and feet.
    Cutting a quilt with templates took sooo long... !

I agree with all of the thoughts here! The kindness and friendliness of quilters is amazing! I just walk into a fabric store and see ladies picking out this bolt and that bolt and I connect! It's much more relaxing than any kind of tailoring work which I use to do for my family. Kinda feel guilty that I pretend I can't do it anymore!! And the availability of books, fabrics, ect. is endless. Others who don't quilt are usually delighted and excited to receive any gift I make.

It's such a HAPPY craft and so relaxing !
    jillnjo

I have sewed since I was a teenager. I spent 10 years making smocked dresses for my granddaughter. Now that she is older, I needed a new hobby. I don't know anyone here who quilts so it is this board, youTube, Craftsy lessons, etc. that keep me quilting. I love it! Also, I learn something new here every day. Thanks all of you!

I think 99% of us want to be creative in some way and quilting is certainly one of the ways to express ones self creatively. Everything goes around again and again and quilting had never really died, just slowed down and now it is going strong again. So many simply techniques replacing the more difficult ways of old of putting a pattern together may have something to do with it and of course the fabric choices are endless.

Sharing this craft with others is very satisfying and to give the beautiful works of art to others brings a great deal of joy. It is very satisfying on all levels. I love it.

A great question and love reading all the responses!

It is so exciting to see so many people, young, old and MEN too who quilt. The internet has really helped I think cuz of all the resources, free video tutorials and free patterns, help from quilt boards like this. I just wish I had started quilting at an earlier age but guess things happen in life for a reason. I also didn't have the time till I was semi-retired, and now retired.

I've never been a sewer, definitely NOT by hand and used my sewing machine for mending. Didn't have the patience for making clothes, found that out when I took a sewing class that came with my new Kenmore machine hubby got me after we got married 41 yrs ago. First time I had to rip and redo I quit, LOL. Dum dum but hey I was only 20.

Now I can't get my 3 adult girls to sew, maybe one day. But I am delighted to make place mats, mug rugs and quilts for them.

Oh and I agree that quilting is ART. And hey we have to indulge our addiction to fabric shopping, so it is also good for us psychologically, right?
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

I think it's because it's such a rewarding hobby. The quilt you make is uniquely you. Very few of us ever duplicated a quilt exactly the way the pattern shows. Our fabrics are different, we make a different size or the quilting is different. I have also found quilters - for the most part- to be nice people and fun to be around.

For me, it has been a reach back to the past and my silly belief that life was simpler then. It really was not, but the women seemed calmer when they quilted and I wanted to feel tied to our creative history. They were "green" and their quilts were utility, but they seemed beautiful to me. Of course we can buy quilts cheaper, but quilting, piecing and making a stash is truly relaxing, though I need to stop buying!

Blog Entries
    For me it's being able to make an entire quilt by machine. I would never have made one if I had to do any hand sewing. I don't mind hand sewing, but much prefer to use my machine whenver I can.

For me .... it's all the gorgeous fabrics out there .... and the easy use of the rotary cutters/mats/rulers, etc.

I quilted about 30 yrs. ago. We had a small group meet once a week (everything done by hand ~ piecing, appliqué, quilting). And it was so *not fun* to: make your template, trace around it and then cut it out (times by many, many times). So I quit and found other hobbies: *counted cross stitch *needlepoint *knitting.

And then while browsing Etsy.com for a quilt for my soon to be born first granddaughter, I stumbled upon Rag Quilts. And thought to myself, gee, I *could* make one of those .... well that was last April. And I made the baby quilt, made a queen size rag quilt for our BR, upgraded to a Janome 6600 and a 1961 Featherweight for classes.

And now I am soooo loving *all things quilt* ... especially the gorgeous fabrics out there .... oh, and all the pre-cuts too!!

jody

[QUOTE=Briarberry;5379228] Sure a lot of young people quilt too but when I go to quilt shows most of the folks there are older and they are the ones with the time and money.

This is off the subject, but when my DD and I were in Shipshewana, she made the comment that she was one of the youngest there. She's 48. lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast