Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you think quilting is so popular now?

Well I'm still a long ways off from retirement, but for me it's a lovely way to try to recapture what I think is a very valuable skill that is getting lost in my family. Both of my grandmothers were dedicated sewers; both made quilts for every one of their children & grandchildren. NONE of my aunts or uncles or either of my parents kept that skill alive. Zero. I don't think any of my cousins sew either, and my sister certainly doesn't. I really really wish my grandmothers were still alive so I could learn directly from them now, but I spent lots of time watching with curious eyes and "helping" out when I was a kid so I feel I got a benefit from their experience in an oblique sort of way. And of course I've studied quilts from each of them that I own in great detail.

I'm a creative/crafty person so I'm always trying new things, and I often try to "recapture" skills that I know my grandmothers had & that my parents sort of let go of. Embroidery is another skill I made sure to learn. Cooking, of all things (I come from a family where everything came from a can and/or out of the microwave). Soapmaking. Basic things like that, that were necessary skills in my Grandmothers' days, but are considered luxuries now. Store-bought quilts/food/soap just aren't as good as the best I can make on my own. Cheaper, in most cases, but not BETTER. ;-)

MOST of the quilters I've met are at around retirement age, but there are a lot of us "younger" crowd (I'm in my 30's) too and that makes me happy. Quilting is going to be around for a very loonnnng time.

I agree that it is a big bump of baby boomers, I also think it is part economy, back to your roots, the recycle and use it up......Now that I am retired, I have my simple summer garden going, been learning to can all over again, dehydrate my herbs, sit and read in my garden, work on my cross stitch samplers and make quilts for other people (Quilts of Valor, Linus Project, Homeless shelters and Local military Hospital) what in the world could be more satisfying than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well perhaps a good glass of wine

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I use to draw. I drew for my high school paper and then took up the arts in college. After college I kept up with different aspects of the arts constantly. Finally, I tired of it after so many years. My sister introduced me to quilting. I took to it right away, just like the arts. It was the same sort of outlet. I got the same satisfaction out of quilting as I did from doing artistry. I don't do artsy quilts yet (y.our e.ligible t.oo) but maybe in the future. I just love creating something with my hands.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I think that all of us, including men are born with a talent. A lot of people will say "oh, I could never do that", like painting or other arts, but when we find quilting. Ahh, we can do it. And we do, and it grows into a full blown work of art. My husband , when I put a quilt on the longarm with a pantograph, said I can't do that, but he did. And pretty good. If I ever learn how to put pictures on here I will.

So true, I see all these beautiful quilts and have the money, but sadly do not have the time to spend on quilts so I end up doing like one or 2 a year because of time constraints. I still love it though

I have re-connected with many family members I had lost contact with. Which brought back memories I had also lost track with. One of the biggies was sleeping on the floor, with a passel of cousins wrapped in grandma's quilts. That's what I want to preserve!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I remember those quilts in Family Circle. I made one that I have kept for myself and just love it.

I think the art of quilting will ebb and flow just like everything else does. I'm just happy to be one of those baby boomers that caught the bug. We are so blessed to have great fabrics, creative pattern makers and the internet to expand our skills. What a great time to be part of this craft!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    1. Women are creative by nature.
    2. Quilters are immediate friends.
    3. The art is visual AND tactile, who doesn't love touching colorful, soft, comfy stuff!
    which brings me to #4:
    4. The fabrics are treated with addicting chemicals that virtually all women are quite sensitive to.

(I'm kidding!!)

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    I took lessons after my family grew up when I knew there would be more time to sew.

I love the creative outlet quilting provides, the wide color and fabric choices available, the comraderie of the group I quilt with and the mentality of the quilters on QB and the women in my LQS. Someone has a sense of humor, a smart remark or a story that makes me smile every day. I have never known such a cohesive group, even though we are so diverse. So much information is shared among us and someone always has an answer to any question; there is little competitiveness and it is relaxing. The peace of sitting at the sewing machine and creating something uniquely my own is its own reward!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by seazteddy View Post
    I got the pattern from Family Circle or good housekeeping, how to make a quilt in a weekend.
    I have that exact same article...its part of what got me started quilting!
    Beth

Because there's just sooo many beautiful fabrics out there! Gotta do sumpin wit em!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

The Internet has really helped make DIY possible. It's not only quilting but knitting, sewing, beading, scrapbooking, crocheting, etc. Social networking means we see things friends do, decide we want to do it to, find a you tube video with instructions, then buy the materials from an online retailer. It's a combo of easy access to ideas and knowledge and not having to rely on local shops for supplies I think.

So true Ms. Pat 625 We quilters are a great bunch of people, it is amazing how we learn from each other.

Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer
    Lansing, Mi

Will be at our Daughters home in Lakeland for Christmas not sure how long (maybe a month or two).

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer View Post
    So true Ms. Pat 625 We quilters are a great bunch of people, it is amazing how we learn from each other.

Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer

Lansing, Mi

Will be at our Daughters home in Lakeland for Christmas not sure how long (maybe a month or two).
    Lakeland is a nice place, usually nice weather for Christmas ..too bad the great LQS downtown closed. I live all the way north of Lakeland, heading towards Dade City. Just think --we might just meet at Joannes!! LOL...

I dont think the popularity has changed as much as the fact that our awareness has increased because of the internet.
    Shirley Cooper

After 9/11 all the hand crafts BOOMED, there were stories of women that day walking into stores and picking up knitting needles, yarn and just sitting down and knitting.. knit, or crochet if thats what they bought. I think its because its very relaxing, and most women want to leave their children, grandchildren more than just money, or a used deck of playing cards. It gives a deep feeling of satisfaction. I used to make my own bread and canned my garden vegetables. I loved the feeling of being able to look at those jars in the pantry and would say to myself. I did this, to feed the people I love.

Unfortunately, Am at the point now, cannot do the large projects (quilts).. am not capable any longer, and I KNOW it. Am settling now on making small things, table runners, etc.

I think that all things: style, clothes, crafts, hobbies and quilting all go through phases, and right now it's the time for quilting to make a strong comeback. I also think people are once again appreciated the time and talent it takes to make a quilt.

I am a third generation quilter. I grew up with quilts. No house is a home without some quilts! I think in today's hurry-up world where we are required to do what everyone else wants/needs, it is so refreshing to just sit a while, think your own thoughts, choose what fabrics you want to use and how you want to put them together and rest your soul for a little while. We all need some time to be creative, to make plans of our own, to enjoy the colors of the world around us and enjoy life. That's why I quilt! It doesn't have to be a big quilt, a quilted purse, placemats, table runners, all have that same aura, relaxation, freedom, enjoyment. Quilt on!

Blog Entries
    I think women have always had the desire to make their bedrooms as well as other rooms in the house "inviting" and pretty. Even the pioneer women made beautiful patterns on their quilts. They didn't just sew hunks of fabric together to stay warm. They created beautiful designs. Everybody appreaciate a little beauty in their home and nowdays we have more colors to choose from. Plus we have all this inovative technology that makes things so much easier and faster. We have better everything to work with. We have just expanded the horizons of the earlier quilters.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I too took a class years ago. It seemed to precise for me. I now love to watch videos of different patterns and techniques. My sis got me onto this board and it just keeps you interested in trying new things. I've never used the same pattern twice yet!
    Have a Blessed Day

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I think all of the free videos and instructions and this board has really helped! I would not be quilting if not for all three. I just wish it was not so expensive for the materials. Sad its cheaper to buy a premade one vs making a new one.
    quilting was popular LONG before any of those 3 things!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    I am a third generation quilter. I grew up with quilts. No house is a home without some quilts! I think in today's hurry-up world where we are required to do what everyone else wants/needs, it is so refreshing to just sit a while, think your own thoughts, choose what fabrics you want to use and how you want to put them together and rest your soul for a little while. We all need some time to be creative, to make plans of our own, to enjoy the colors of the world around us and enjoy life. That's why I quilt! It doesn't have to be a big quilt, a quilted purse, placemats, table runners, all have that same aura, relaxation, freedom, enjoyment. Quilt on!
    LOVE this reply...I am also 3rd generation, and learned at a very early to love and appreciate a good quilt. I also love how now I can ADD my specialty stuff and make smaller items as well! We are really just "textile Junkies"!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janegb View Post
    After 9/11 all the hand crafts BOOMED, there were stories of women that day walking into stores and picking up knitting needles, yarn and just sitting down and knitting.. knit, or crochet if thats what they bought. I think its because its very relaxing, and most women want to leave their children, grandchildren more than just money, or a used deck of playing cards. It gives a deep feeling of satisfaction. I used to make my own bread and canned my garden vegetables. I loved the feeling of being able to look at those jars in the pantry and would say to myself. I did this, to feed the people I love.

Unfortunately, Am at the point now, cannot do the large projects (quilts).. am not capable any longer, and I KNOW it. Am settling now on making small things, table runners, etc.
    the crafts did not BOOM, the industry did because people panicked that they would not have money shortly after that....The craft/leisure/hobby industry was already riding a very HIGH wave prior to 9/11. The market then was driven by those fixing to retire, who had disposable income and did not care how they spent it! Those folks are now wishing they had held on to some after the last 5 years. They also have houses/rooms filled with stuff they will never use, and thus are no longer putting $ into the market.

Today the market is driven by younger moms who stay home and want to reinvent the pioneering woman! HA...like they could that without blogs, youtube, etc....BUT they are also more frugal, and are not putting the same degree of $ into the market/industry. They are more apt to "share" a pattern online than buy one and in that sense have driven the industry backwards 30 years! They are also the ones that are creating the demand for MORE sewing lessons! BUT are not buying NEW machines. So this NEW age of quilting/sewing is more like the OLD age. DO more with less, it is a craft not driven by $, unless you make it so. Just read this forum. THere is more chat in the topics about FREE patterns, how to make "X" template instead of buying one, etc...while some say " that is how quilting should be, use it up, make do, etc" there are others that argue that as an industry you can not do that, you have to create NEW stuff for people to buy or you lose the industry. Yes, but that does not mean you will lose the craft! I believe that quilting, sewing, etc, is here to stay no matter the industry. It is the industry that is making harder to get NEW people into it though. Just look at the prices today compared to 5 years ago. You can do that buy finding an old magazine/catalog(keepsake especially) and looking at the prices! Todays prices are more prohibitive than ever for newbies!

what keeps it alive is our economy. More people "have" to work to an older age. Older people who are at home are raising/caring for grands, younger moms who stay at home have to DO for their families instead buying all the time, all of these people are keeping ALL crafts alive. Be it scrap booking/card making, crochet, knit or sew. If it can be done for the betterment of the household it is being done!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast