Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why Do Really Popular Fabric Designs Disappear? >

Why Do Really Popular Fabric Designs Disappear?

Why Do Really Popular Fabric Designs Disappear?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 AM

Default Why Do Really Popular Fabric Designs Disappear?

I know they have to have to put out new designs, but I find it super frustrating when really popular fabric designs disappear. There are designs from Connecting Threads, the Fruit Ladies on the Beach line, M'Liss Rae Hawley pink fashionista dachshund fabric and some of the prettier cat fabrics from Laurel Burch, that are either not available or very hard to find. Is it a copyright issue that they can only print so much and then have to stop?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

No I don't think so. I was surprised to have discovered that Marcus Brothers is reprinting some of the Aunt Grace fabrics that were from the early 90s.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 AM

Oh, I hate it when that happens. I have a favorite fabric I use for bindings. It's a part of a collection that has been discontinued. Unfortunately, I guess I'm the only one who loved it. But I keep looking in case someone has a bolt in their warehouse. Fabric companies have to move on with the trends in patterns and colorways.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

The companies do a run of fabric and then switch the machines and dyes to the next run. Occasionally they will bring back a line but usually the colours are not quite the same. If you like it now, buy it now because chances of finding it on eBay is going to be expensive!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Love Laurel's cats. the best designs ever.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Laurel Burch died so it's up to the family that have her copyrights to have the fabric reprinted. M'Liss Rae Hawley has a Facebook page and posts there regulatory about her fabric and pictures of her dachshunds. CT designers are always designing new fabric so the older designs aren't kept in stock so I've learned to buy them as soon as they are released, especially the prints. Fruit Ladies on the Beach line is still being printed, the shops just aren't ordering it? http://www.elizabethsstudio.com/

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-26-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

One question....are you likely to find the same style/color/fabric/fit of your favorite pants, or shirt, or jacket, or dress, or pajamas, etc. from year to year, or season to season??
Old 09-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Laurel Burch's horses have been reissued recently--they are beautiful!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
One question....are you likely to find the same style/color/fabric/fit of your favorite pants, or shirt, or jacket, or dress, or pajamas, etc. from year to year, or season to season??
Unfortunately, no. You didn't mention shoes/boots but that's where I wish they would stop changing them. My foot is difficult to fit and when I find something that feels and looks good I usually buy at least two pair because I know I'll never see them next season.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 AM

What I hate is that usually by the time a pattern is published, the fabric has been out a while and may or may not be readily available. I've had to order fabric from 5 or 6 sources before to get the fabric that I wanted to make a quilt and sometimes haven't been able to find it at all.