Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do you use 100% cotton fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-use-100%25-cotton-fabric-t182099.html)

Peckish 03-08-2012 03:00 PM

I prefer the feel of cotton. Poly makes me sweat even when I'm not hot.

117becca 03-08-2012 03:05 PM

i like the way it feels......

Learner747 03-08-2012 03:06 PM

A lady asked me last week why I use 100% cotton and it is all about natural fiber and organic when I can find it.

Tartan 03-08-2012 03:12 PM

I have used both cotton and ploy/cotton but not in the same quilt. I prefer cotton for needle turn appliqué because it turns easier. I prefer batiks for raw edge appliqué because they fray less than regular cotton fabric. I like poly/cottons for children's quilts because they wrinkle less when washed, they are practically indestructible and the colors don't fade. I will also use whatever fabric works for a certain look in a wall hanging or art quilt.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2012 03:45 PM

there are certainly a lot of different reasons here... some i never thought about. i'm glad you asked this question

Jackie Spencer 03-08-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5042849)
I don't like the feel of poly/cotton. The scrim in cotton sheets is bad enough (and at least I don't have to iron them). I do use poly/cotton when I want to use a licensed fabric - its often difficult to find an all cotton in the latest Saturday morning hero. But, then, I use cotton or flannel on the back.

Secondly, quilting stitches do not generally show up as well on a poly cotton. That same resistance to wrinkles also results in less stitch definition. Probably not a big deal unless you use a really flat batting.

I am not terribly biased against blends or even using other fabrics. However, if I'm going to put a lot of time into this project, I want to use very good quality fabric. Nearly all my fabric is from a quilt shop.

Me Too!!!!

ckcowl 03-08-2012 03:56 PM

i use natural fibers in my quilts---cotton, wool, linen, silk because i love the feel of them---and there really is nothing like the soft/coziness of a vintage well loved cotton quilt- poly blends stay (rough- different) they do not soften, become better with age. they are good for *utility quilts* ---quilts kids are going to use to drag around--make forts- play on- take in the car---love to death---but for most of my quilts i will stick to the natural fibers that only become better with age---and if they wear out faster than a polyester (plastic) quilt- it only gives me reason to make another---and i know the first one was very well loved.
natural fibers breath- are (natural- not petroleum dependant) and are wonderful to work with.

Lori S 03-08-2012 04:19 PM

There are some advantages to poly cotton blends.. They hold color longer ( black 100 percent black cotton pants .. as a case on point, are only dark black for several washings) Blends are warmer . Poly is a stronger fiber.
Disadvantages of blends: They don't press as easily, some blends will pill, fabrics with polyester can have stains permanetly etched into the fiber. Pressing blocks with a mix of blends and 100 percent cotton can be problematic as poly blends will melt , before the cotton is pressed. They dull your cutting impliments faster than cotton.
I have used both blends and 100 percent cotton over the years. There was a time when the selection of 100 percent cotton prints was very limited. Poly blends were all the rage, because they did not wrinkle like 100 percent cotton, and not nearly as many people were making quilts.

Sadiemae 03-08-2012 04:28 PM

My Momma was a fantastic seamstress and she used cotton for quilting, so I use cotton now!:thumbup:

noahscats7 03-08-2012 04:52 PM

I like the way it shrinks and wrinkles up the quilt.