Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do you use 100% cotton fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-use-100%25-cotton-fabric-t182099.html)

Daylesewblessed 03-08-2012 04:55 PM

To me, woven polyester fabric doesn't have the "give" or stretch that I sometimes need when assembling blocks. It is like sewing 2 pieces of paper together -- I can't do anything with it to make it fit.
Dayle

margecam52 03-08-2012 05:00 PM

Just try to stay consistant in whatever you use (unless it's a crazy quilt..then the sky's the limit!). Most insist on 100% cotton because if you mix cotton with a poly or poly/cotton mix...the cotton will shrink a lot more than the poly/cotton mix...and the poly won't shrink. If you mix the types..you could be in for a disapointment once washed and dried.

I wonder also, if some felt polyester would not hold up as well as cotton (it actually can hold up better).

One other reason...it's what great gramma used and is in keeping with tradition. Use what works for you.

Originally Posted by Donna in Mo (Post 5042754)
I wondered why it seems that quilters think we must use 100% cotton. My Amish neighbors tell me they think the poly/cotton fabric wears better than cotton. I know the poly/cotton fabric washes better and is probably available in more designs. I know it is too lightweight for embroidery, so I use cotton.

QM 03-08-2012 05:01 PM

I don't like the feel of poly either. Also, I have found that poly blend bedsheets, for example, tend to pick up and hold odors. I see no reason to be upset with anyone who does not have my particular preferences, however. I quilt because I enjoy it. I know blankets are cheaper. If I do not enjoy the process, I am wasting my time. I like to 'pet' my high quality fabrics.

Candace 03-08-2012 05:14 PM

Poly blends scorch easy, stink when they're pressed and just feel creepy IMO.

cizzors 03-08-2012 05:16 PM

I use it because I have a room full of it! Hoping to get more at the Vegas quilt show tomorrow.

ging10ging 03-08-2012 05:18 PM

Everyone it seems says to use cotton so that's why I do. Sue

jcrow 03-08-2012 05:55 PM

I worked as a tech and had to wear a polyester lab coat and I couldn't do it. I have hot flashes and the polyester held the heat in. I roasted. I quit the job just because I couldn't stand being overheated and sweating all the time. For a quilt, maybe it will keep you really warm. I use cotton because that's what I was taught and I'm a good girl and do what I'm told (when it comes to quilting only) ha ha

Val in IN 03-09-2012 06:10 AM

I like to use cotton for my quilts. I like the feel of it and I like the crinkly look it gets after washing, and I also like the way that it gets softer and softer each time it is washed. That being said, however, I have no problem using poly blends for wall hangings, table toppers, handbags, decorative pillows, etc. The way the price of fabric is going, I don't think I can afford to dismiss using fabrics ther than cotton. I'd rather use what I have and what I can afford, than to not be able to create.

SuzyQ 03-09-2012 06:17 AM

dunno really ... I guess because that's what I was taught and what the LQS sells. However, if I could only find something in a blend, I would use it.

Suzy