Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why does it cost so much to repair a sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-does-cost-so-much-repair-sewing-machine-t62992.html)

Conniequilts 09-04-2010 09:05 AM

I don't know. One place said $65 an hour and one said $85 an hour when I needed mine fixed. Guess where it went.

Sadiemae 09-04-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My guess would be because repairmen don't live on air and have bills to pay. They have building rent and utilities to pay plus since it's their only job they also have homes and cars and such to pay for. Life ain't cheap.

This is a good point, but why is the Pfaff dealer here cheaper than the Viking/Bernina/Brother dealer? So instead of taking my MQ to this dealer, I am taking it to the Pfaff dealer. It is the same machine as one of the Pfaffs just with a different name. I think sometimes they are higher than they should be.

Lostn51 09-04-2010 10:09 AM

I mainly service vintage sewing machines and I charge $65 + parts for the service and it is a complete service with the spa treatment, oil and polish to boot. I have tons of them coming in from all over the country thanks to everyone here on the board, and I have lots coming in locally. Because the local shops do not want to mess with the older machines it really adds to the mix.

The reason I can keep my prices so low is because I also am a parts distributor and I do it all here at my home and I have no overhead.

Billy

joyceinoh 09-04-2010 10:46 AM

My Janome serger just had a colossion with the loopers hitting together. I need to take it in for repair.]
Hubby could always fix whatever, with my old Singer
but not sure I want him messing with this. Especially if there is any computerized stuff on it.
They told me with my White serger it would be $100.00 plus parts. WEll that was 2 years ago and the parts (only a thread guard) is still on back order. So I traded it in on the Janome.
Never buy a WHITE, you can't get repair.
Altho JoAnn's Fabric told me at the time that I could.

paloma 09-04-2010 11:46 AM

my dealer if you own a janome or baby lock or tin lizze you get one price for repare,if a different brand it is approx one third more

np3 09-04-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I mainly service vintage sewing machines and I charge $65 + parts for the service and it is a complete service with the spa treatment, oil and polish to boot. I have tons of them coming in from all over the country thanks to everyone here on the board, and I have lots coming in locally. Because the local shops do not want to mess with the older machines it really adds to the mix.

The reason I can keep my prices so low is because I also am a parts distributor and I do it all here at my home and I have no overhead.

How old is vintage?

Billy

nwm50 09-04-2010 01:59 PM

WHY DOES A TV MAN CHARGE SO MUCH? oR FOR THAT MATTER AN WASHING MACHINE REPAIR? iT'S JUST WHAT THEY CHARGE IN THEIR FIELD AND I GUESS TIME IS A MAJOR FACTOR...LOOK AT HOW MUCH AN TOLIET MAN CHARGE FOR UNSTOPPING IT? THE LIST COULD GO ON & ON! LOL...I COULD GET ON A ROLL WITH THIS ONE!

SuziC 09-04-2010 02:36 PM

That's a lot of money! I am very fortunate, my hubby does all my repairs. He periodically takes all mine apart and cleans and oils them if needed.

Lostn51 09-04-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by np3
How old is vintage?

For me its anything from 1860-1974, but most of the time the cut off is 1960 as far as the collectors are concerned.

Billy

BellaBoo 09-04-2010 06:36 PM

When we tell someone the charge for making them a quilt we all hear: That much for making a quilt?! Ask the repairman to break the cost down to what you are paying for labor, service, and parts. You can find the price of the part online and if he is doubling the price just to oder it, you'll know. How long is his work guaranteed? Does he have a good reputation as being honest and dependable? The value of the job compared to the price is different to everyone.