Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I gave up on precuts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-gave-up-precuts-t265193.html)

0tis 05-15-2015 05:33 PM

I love pre-cuts and buy them all the time - I only buy Moda, Riley Blake or Robert Kaufman or Windham - good quality fabrics - I love having the whole collection of fabrics and not having to find fabrics that match - I always buy them on sale and never pay full price - I've never had a problem with the sizing and I've used them a lot. I will continue to use them as long as I can.

grann of 6 05-16-2015 03:43 AM

I'm with Otis. I absolutely LOVE the precuts. I do a lot of charity quilting, and having the line already cut is a huge timesaver. I use a lot of Jenny Doan's tutes, and they are specifically designed for precuts. I too love having the entire collection. I am not all that crazy for scrappy, like more controlled chaos. I have noticed that some shops cut their own jelly rolls and charms, and some seem to be off. I like the name brands for accuracy. With our ability to contact companies through the internet, it should be easy to take a picture of the offending product, and write them a complaint.

sewwhat85 05-16-2015 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 7195723)
Can't really count on peak to peak because sometimes all the peaks are gone...with too
much handling and whatnot. I only bought one honey bun and haven't used it yet.
I think I'll find a pattern that doesn't need too much accuracy for that.
Last time I used a layer cake not all were square...some were less that 10" square.
Good thing I wasn't counting on using all of the 10" square.
Of course it gets worse when you starch.

I would not say it gets worse when you starch. It is just a fact that starching your fabric can cause it to shrink. That is something you did to the fabric not a problem with the cut size.

wendiq 05-16-2015 06:06 AM

I've had terrible luck with the layer cakes....thought it was just me.

Grammahunt 05-16-2015 06:22 AM

I only buy pre-cuts for quilts when size does not matter--like strip quilts or charity quilts. If it has to be a specific size or cut I always, always, cut my own for this exact reason.

ShirlinAZ 05-16-2015 07:59 AM

I found the same thing with the Moda jelly rolls and 5" squares I bought. Fortunately the quilt I was making only required consistency, not an accuracy. The last fat quarters I bought were also cut on an angle. Some were so bad I had less than 17" to work with. And that came from a "good" online store. I think I'll stick with yardage from now on.

mumzer 05-16-2015 02:18 PM

O buy pre cuts at MSQ and haven't had any problems

DresiArnaz 05-17-2015 07:35 AM

I had a kit with precut Dresden blades. I sewed them together with 1/4" seam allowance on the first block and it wouldn't lay right

I had to use a 3/8" SA to correct the problem

I have another precut kit that I need to make. Hopefully since it came from somewhere else any problems I encounter will be due to operator error

I don't buy kits-these were given to me