Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I make scrappies I think. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-make-scrappies-i-think-t215513.html)

deedum 03-04-2013 07:47 PM

Why I make scrappies I think.

I just love scrappy quilts and the thought crossed my mind why! I am free, free to pick whatever color I want, to start and stop on the project without any ado. I don't have to think, worry about the pattern or anything. I can be As creative as the mood takes me. I am so much of a free spirit on my off time. At work, I am very structured, hard working and hold myself very accountable and don't take excuses lightly.., at home in my own little sewing room, In my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be!

I think the scrappies, just ooze love, warmth and comfort!!

Why do you like scrappies?

Pat625 03-04-2013 07:53 PM

I love scrappies because they bring back the feeling of long ago, when family was a the most important thing. Quilts were made with scraps from clothing, and were functional...I hate to see a quilt I made not being used...Scrappies are the mac and cheese of bedding!

Nammie to 7 03-04-2013 08:08 PM

Scrappy quilts seem to have more warmth and feeling than a "coordinated" quilt.

stablemom 03-04-2013 08:18 PM

I love scrappies for the same reasons. The freedom they give you. They are warm and cosy and thrifty too. They remind me of older times when everything was used to make something lovely and useful.

Sally J 03-04-2013 09:11 PM

I like them because they remind me of my grandmothers quilts. She was the only one in my family who made quilts. Sadly none of them survived my relatives just throwing them away when she died. I love making them also. Makes me happy

judy5cents 03-04-2013 09:23 PM

I love scrappies, they can be frugal, fun and forgiving!

justflyingin 03-04-2013 09:58 PM

I like the idea that I'm using "leftovers"--plus, they force me to be somewhat creative with "what I've got". The end result is always functional and often quite pretty. :)

QM 03-04-2013 10:01 PM

My DH says that scrappies are "real" quilts. (sorta like our oldest saying a garden with fruits and veggies is a "real" garden.)

helou 03-05-2013 03:03 AM

I like "most" of them and that's all I have made so far being a beginner quilter.
The main reason is that I had no clue on how much fabric to buy when I learned, and I had to continuously go and buy some more which (of course) was not the same that I already had so I had to be inventive. Plus, I wanted to learn of lot and did not want to do the same block over and over for one big quilt. Now, I just finished piecing my third ever quilt and, as justflyingin wrote, it uses leftovers and I know that I could not create anything if I had to much leftovers in my way, so I try to use them as much as I can.
That being said, I am into genealogy and my ancestors history etc so to me, scrappies is along the same line: the way my ancestors made quilts that's what I am intersted in learning

QuiltnNan 03-05-2013 03:35 AM

i think scrappies are my favorites. so reminiscent of my childhood at my aunt's house.