Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-its-not-always-easy-choose-quilting-motifs-t293815.html)

MaryKatherine 01-04-2018 12:56 PM

Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

2 Attachment(s)
I give a lot of thought to how I finish a quilt. I love it when people have a pretty clear idea what they want, but its not always easy to decide. As I finished the donations quilt of 2017 for our guild I reflected on why choosing How to quilt this last had been very difficult. I had put it off a few times. Had it been intended for an adult I would have enjoyed playing with heavy quilting in all the negative white space but I knew this one would find its way to a child in distress.
The colours were wrong. It said winter and cold. (Snowflakes? No.) On top of that the backing was a solid blue/black. (What were these girls thinking). Had the accent fabrics had cartoons of puppies or cats, it would have been natural to place a portrait in each hexagon.
I found a common theme in several fabrics and the white, dots. I finished it with loops and circles in a pale solid colour. The variegated accent thread went on the back, making it almost more attractive than the front.

RJLinkletter 01-04-2018 01:39 PM

That is beautiful - I love the quilting and hope to be as good as that some day.

zozee 01-04-2018 02:11 PM

I almost always get stuck at that same stage unless an inspiration hits me while I'm piecing. Doesn't matter what size the quilt or who's the intended recipient, it's not an easy decision. You found a wonderful solution inspired the common theme in the fabric. I don't think the quilt is cold or sterile; I say it's clean and modern. Perhaps a teen girl in distress will get it--a girl like my daughter and DIL who are all about greys, blues, and whites in the simplest of patterning.

Doggramma 01-04-2018 02:23 PM

I really like the way it turned out. The variegated thread and loops and swirls give it a fun look. I think deciding on how to quilt something can daunting.

Tartan 01-04-2018 02:42 PM

It turned out great and the circle quilting goes well with snowballed circles on the top.

pewa88 01-04-2018 04:24 PM

That turned out great. I can see why you were a bit stumped. The piecing is a very unusual pattern. I don't always know how to quilt the modern ones. Unique quilt indeed.

jmoore 01-05-2018 03:50 AM

I agree...it is very seldom that I have an idea how to quilt it and since I don’t own my own LA (yet) and rent by the hour, I mostly do an all over (edge to edge) design.

SusieQOH 01-05-2018 05:14 AM

You did a great job quilting it.

feline fanatic 01-05-2018 05:39 AM

There have been times where I have spent more time researching and developing quilting motifs for a quilt than it took to do the actual quilting. Other times the quilting inspiration has come to me very quickly, almost like the quilt has screamed to me what it wants done and then there are times I had an idea for quilting and made the quilt for the quilting idea I had. And then there are times when a panto will fit the quilt perfectly. You did a wonderful custom job on this. I think had I been faced with the criteria you had for this quilt I would have chosen a panto for it. Your choices fit the quilt perfectly.

Becky's Crafts 01-05-2018 05:46 AM

You did a great job & I too like the way the back came out!! Looks great!