Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

Blog Entries

Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

I give a lot of thought to how I finish a quilt. I love it when people have a pretty clear idea what they want, but its not always easy to decide. As I finished the donations quilt of 2017 for our guild I reflected on why choosing How to quilt this last had been very difficult. I had put it off a few times. Had it been intended for an adult I would have enjoyed playing with heavy quilting in all the negative white space but I knew this one would find its way to a child in distress.
    The colours were wrong. It said winter and cold. (Snowflakes? No.) On top of that the backing was a solid blue/black. (What were these girls thinking). Had the accent fabrics had cartoons of puppies or cats, it would have been natural to place a portrait in each hexagon.
    I found a common theme in several fabrics and the white, dots. I finished it with loops and circles in a pale solid colour. The variegated accent thread went on the back, making it almost more attractive than the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-04-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

That is beautiful - I love the quilting and hope to be as good as that some day.

I almost always get stuck at that same stage unless an inspiration hits me while I'm piecing. Doesn't matter what size the quilt or who's the intended recipient, it's not an easy decision. You found a wonderful solution inspired the common theme in the fabric. I don't think the quilt is cold or sterile; I say it's clean and modern. Perhaps a teen girl in distress will get it--a girl like my daughter and DIL who are all about greys, blues, and whites in the simplest of patterning.

I really like the way it turned out. The variegated thread and loops and swirls give it a fun look. I think deciding on how to quilt something can daunting.
    Lori

Power Poster
    It turned out great and the circle quilting goes well with snowballed circles on the top.

That turned out great. I can see why you were a bit stumped. The piecing is a very unusual pattern. I don't always know how to quilt the modern ones. Unique quilt indeed.

Blog Entries
    I agree...it is very seldom that I have an idea how to quilt it and since I don’t own my own LA (yet) and rent by the hour, I mostly do an all over (edge to edge) design.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

You did a great job quilting it.

There have been times where I have spent more time researching and developing quilting motifs for a quilt than it took to do the actual quilting. Other times the quilting inspiration has come to me very quickly, almost like the quilt has screamed to me what it wants done and then there are times I had an idea for quilting and made the quilt for the quilting idea I had. And then there are times when a panto will fit the quilt perfectly. You did a wonderful custom job on this. I think had I been faced with the criteria you had for this quilt I would have chosen a panto for it. Your choices fit the quilt perfectly.

You did a great job & I too like the way the back came out!! Looks great!

That is very pretty. I know the time it takes to do that. I don't fuss over quilting. I do crosshatching either in squares or diamonds. Looks good, takes very little time or effort and no ends to hide. If I want fancy I will let someone with a computer LA do it. The free hand quilting I have had done, I find too many faults in it for the cost.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I like what you came up with for that quilt - and your work is so fun to see. Deciding the quilting patterns is definitely the hard thing for me-(Hence my large inventory of UFOs) I have to take into consideration my abilities (limited), the time frame I have allowed, the size of the project as well as the general ambiance of the top pattern. All that said, I have sent many imperfect quilts into the world - my motto "It'll do" My slogan: "Better done than perfect." My workshop policy: "Every quilt is a practice quilt" because there is always something new to learn! I continue to have fun with it.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

You really did well with the whimsical quilting pattern you chose....a child can get lost in this.

Beautiful quilt and quilting...I hope to do as well one day. I just keep practicing......
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I have the same problem at times. Sometimes a quilt will be easy. For example, a couple of years ago I did a quilt for a friend's daughter who was graduating from High School. She is a very good artist already, and the backing on her quilt was a novelty print of Van Gogh's "Starry Night". Well, for me, that screamed a swirly motif, edge to edge on the quilt.

Other times I stare at the quilt and either come up with something I don't have time for, or something I feel is uninspired.

Here's something to remember thought: No matter what you decided, the recipient is always happy for what you do and in love with their special gift.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I love both the quilt and the quilting. Yes it is not suited for a young child but a teenager will love it and they are still children at that age even if they don't think so. Do you know the name of the pattern they used, I am going to be doing a modern wedding quilt soon and love the simplicity of the design. If I may I would like to use your design idea for hand quilting. It makes the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    I love both the quilt and the quilting. Yes it is not suited for a young child but a teenager will love it and they are still children at that age even if they don't think so. Do you know the name of the pattern they used, I am going to be doing a modern wedding quilt soon and love the simplicity of the design. If I may I would like to use your design idea for hand quilting. It makes the quilt.
    No name. It was "bee" assembled from a simple hexagon block and a second of the same size.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    MaryKay

Thank you for the reply.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan