Old 01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
MaryKatherine

Default Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

I give a lot of thought to how I finish a quilt. I love it when people have a pretty clear idea what they want, but its not always easy to decide. As I finished the donations quilt of 2017 for our guild I reflected on why choosing How to quilt this last had been very difficult. I had put it off a few times. Had it been intended for an adult I would have enjoyed playing with heavy quilting in all the negative white space but I knew this one would find its way to a child in distress.
The colours were wrong. It said winter and cold. (Snowflakes? No.) On top of that the backing was a solid blue/black. (What were these girls thinking). Had the accent fabrics had cartoons of puppies or cats, it would have been natural to place a portrait in each hexagon.
I found a common theme in several fabrics and the white, dots. I finished it with loops and circles in a pale solid colour. The variegated accent thread went on the back, making it almost more attractive than the front.
Attached Thumbnails img_6867.jpg   img_6868.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-04-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps