Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs >

Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

Why Its not Always Easy to Choose the Quilting Motifs

Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

That is very pretty. I know the time it takes to do that. I don't fuss over quilting. I do crosshatching either in squares or diamonds. Looks good, takes very little time or effort and no ends to hide. If I want fancy I will let someone with a computer LA do it. The free hand quilting I have had done, I find too many faults in it for the cost.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 AM

I like what you came up with for that quilt - and your work is so fun to see. Deciding the quilting patterns is definitely the hard thing for me-(Hence my large inventory of UFOs) I have to take into consideration my abilities (limited), the time frame I have allowed, the size of the project as well as the general ambiance of the top pattern. All that said, I have sent many imperfect quilts into the world - my motto "It'll do" My slogan: "Better done than perfect." My workshop policy: "Every quilt is a practice quilt" because there is always something new to learn! I continue to have fun with it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 PM

You really did well with the whimsical quilting pattern you chose....a child can get lost in this.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Beautiful quilt and quilting...I hope to do as well one day. I just keep practicing......
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 AM

I have the same problem at times. Sometimes a quilt will be easy. For example, a couple of years ago I did a quilt for a friend's daughter who was graduating from High School. She is a very good artist already, and the backing on her quilt was a novelty print of Van Gogh's "Starry Night". Well, for me, that screamed a swirly motif, edge to edge on the quilt.

Other times I stare at the quilt and either come up with something I don't have time for, or something I feel is uninspired.

Here's something to remember thought: No matter what you decided, the recipient is always happy for what you do and in love with their special gift.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM

I love both the quilt and the quilting. Yes it is not suited for a young child but a teenager will love it and they are still children at that age even if they don't think so. Do you know the name of the pattern they used, I am going to be doing a modern wedding quilt soon and love the simplicity of the design. If I may I would like to use your design idea for hand quilting. It makes the quilt.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I love both the quilt and the quilting. Yes it is not suited for a young child but a teenager will love it and they are still children at that age even if they don't think so. Do you know the name of the pattern they used, I am going to be doing a modern wedding quilt soon and love the simplicity of the design. If I may I would like to use your design idea for hand quilting. It makes the quilt.
No name. It was "bee" assembled from a simple hexagon block and a second of the same size.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:26 AM

MaryKay

Thank you for the reply.