Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why wash finished quilt right away? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-wash-finished-quilt-right-away-t261071.html)

justflyingin 02-10-2015 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7085547)
I compiled all these reasons into one list for quick reference.

To remove:
glue stick
starch
spray adhesive
fabric sizing and chemicals
Pet hair/allergens
dirt from hands
dust from moving quilt around while quilting
marking lines

To check for:
bleeding fabrics
seams that may have come undone

And:
to get that crinkly look
to make sure my giftee knows it can be done!:)

Jan in VA

I also like to lay them flat to dry so that they can dry "blocked". It makes mine look better.

Juliebelle 02-10-2015 02:25 PM

I use Elmers glue to baste and I want to be sure that all the glue is gone and also to check for any areas that need attention before I gift. Also I do a lot for project Linus so I wash to make sure no glue or chemicals before I donate.

carolstickelmaier 02-10-2015 03:04 PM

All of the above and....have you ever used white gloves while quilting? They are filthy when you finish. I was shocked the first time I used them. Couldn't believe how dirty the fabric was. I have also used unwashed fabric to polish my machine table when the fabric is not sliding easily.

ShelleyCS 02-10-2015 03:30 PM

I think I also read here that bugs can be attracted to the starch you use when making the quilt: but mostly I wash it to make sure I fix anything that can go wrong (loose thread, torn seam, bleeding colors).

Sewnoma 02-10-2015 04:00 PM

Everything Jan listed, PLUS something selfish - I really love snuggling up to a freshly laundered, warm quilt. After inspection I have to hug and cuddle each quilt as it comes out of the dryer before I fold it up and send it along its merry way, possibly to never see it again. After all, we'd spent so much quality time together, I can't miss saying a fond farewell! It's kind of a ritual, I think I'd feel cheated if I skipped that step.

I don't always bother to immediately wash a quilt I've made for myself, though. I have lots of furry pets that enjoy my quilts too - it'll get washed soon enough, LOL.

KalamaQuilts 02-10-2015 04:06 PM

Newer quilters may not realize when most quilts were finished with hand quilting sometimes it too 2-3 years to finish them. I can't really see the point myself if you start and finish your quilt in a week :) Except when it is a gift, it is important to know it will survive washing.

Mdegenhart 02-10-2015 05:25 PM

I always joke the unwashed finished quilt probably has a gallon of spit on it from licking my fingers to match up pieces. Ewww. I can hardly wait to wash mine.

Boston1954 02-10-2015 06:19 PM

To get rid of chalk lines, and cat hair. lol

hray 02-10-2015 07:26 PM

All the above--and the crinkly look helps hide the less than perfect (i.e., "creative") parts of my FMQ.

Hallie in NM

DebbieJJ 02-11-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7085232)
i want to make sure that none of my seams come undone

This is the main reason I also wash my quilts before gifting. Also, all the other reasons listed, but this one especially.